Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Multiple Unit Failures Danby Chest Freezers 5.5 Cubic Foot and 7.0 Cubic Foot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Muddbucket

Muddbucket

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Molson Canuckistani

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hello again, your friendly neighbourhood salesjerk here.

Heres one for you, buckle your seatbelts..

So we get a truckload of 5.5 Cubic Foot Danbys DFF555's and their 7 cubic foot brothers into work here.
Prices aren't bad so they were flying off the shelves.

Well, about three weeks ago an older gentleman was at our service desk, yelling loudly about there being no service tech available to fix his new freezer.
The Muddphone rings and I'm summoned. I tell the gentleman to bring it in, I'll give him his money back but first tell me what the issue is.

Freezer wasn't cooling, indicator light was off.

He stated "I tried to fix it like the old ones!"

I said "How didja do that sir?"

"I turned it upside down and fired it up"

Okay so I know his is toast now if it wasn't before. I give him his money back and wrap the freezer in blackwrap, strap it to a pallet and put it into the queue for post mortem.

A week goes by, I stroll into work hauling my toolbox and whistling a merry tune. The weathers nice, sales are good and I've got lots of new appliances to dissect.
Something at the service desk catches my eye, two more of the Danby freezers.. Odd.
I look at their return code reasons, both are Defective/Damaged. Odder still.

I talked with the service desk people, both were returned because they quit cooling.

Okay, back on the pallet, back to Danby, git outta here you heathen appliances.

Two days ago, two more came back.

Well to hell with this I said, lets see what's going on. After taking one and pressure washing the funk outta it I threw it on a cart and wheeled it into my lab, grabbed some power and plugged 'er in.

Nothing.

Well, odd.. okay so I take the access panel off the side.. okay.. OH HEY LG COMPRESSOR! Awesome, love LG stuff, very reliable, easy to work on... however this ones not coming on.
So I prod around a bit, thermostat checks fine, the indicator bulb is toast though, how very odd. So I turn the thermostat down to off, turn it back to cool and on comes Mr. Compressor.

Hrm, vewwwwy interesting I muse to myself, vewwwy interesting indeed.

So I let it run for a good four hours. Iced up real good inside the freezer, colder than a well diggers bum, all is right with the world. Lets see if the compressor is still running...
So I go to touch my hand to the compressor to feel for vibration and HOLY GOOGLY MOOGLY, got a nice burn on my hand. Okay so that can't be right. I take the ol' temp gun out, icey box reads -19.9c,
Compressor while normally a warm/hot item is rocking out at 82c.

Okay not good, not good at all. I remove power, wait a buncha minutes and give it the juice again, compressor doesn't come back on. I leave the thing open so the freezer can warm back up, nope, nadda.

So I wheel out the other returned freezers, same story compressors get BLAZING hot and then refuse to come back on until the compressor is back to room temperature and the thermostat is set back to off.

Well no wonder everybodys stuff is melting, the compressor can't turn itself back on.

So what's causing these bastards to run so bloody hot? They can't all have blocked cap tubes preventing the lube from getting back, can they?

Heres some details on the compressor.

LG MA53LBCM
Model BD155
Code G12701010061155

Right now the returned models (A total of 8, heh) are sitting on a couple pallets stacked like cordwood until I can figure out how to tell Danby to shove em up the demonhole.
The units in the store have been hidden away so nobody can sell them until I can figure this one out.

Any service bulletins or anything going on with these? Recalls? I can't find NOTHIN'

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

... Danbys DFF555's and their 7 cubic foot brothers into work here.

I can't find anything with that model number
and what country are you in ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Muddbucket

Muddbucket

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

Whoops.

DCF555 and DCF709 are the two models.

Also, Canada.

#4 Muddbucket

Muddbucket

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

Anybody? Service bulletins? Recalls? Anybody wanna buy 8 of these for parts?

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

Sounds like bad thermostat's - if it's still running at -19 no wonder the compressor is hot; then the contacts don't close agaun when you plug 'em back in

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics