Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pockstriker

Whirlpool Refrigerator Model ED5PHEXMB00

10 posts in this topic

I have a Whirlpool Side by Side Refrigerator Model #ED5PHEXMB00. Saturday I had a burnt smell. Now this morning(Monday) it wasn't working. I hear a fan running and the compressor sounds like it clicks on but then a couple of seconds later kicks itself back off. I was told by the local repair store that it was a relay but they never looked at it just by my description. I then called a couple of local repair stores and they told me it might be the condescensor(sp?). I'd appreciate any help.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

How can you tell if it's the compressor and not the relay? If I test the relay and it's bad would that mean problem solved or the compressor could've caused it. I'm a mechanic in a mail room so I have basic wiring and mechanical abilities but have never messed with appliances.

The Start Relay may "rattle" when shaken, if it's bad

Could OHM the (3) Compressor pins..

should be about 3 OHMs to 12 OHMs from each other and infinite to chassis (ground)

I replaced the start relay which was pretty burnt looking. The compressor is runnning now. How long before I should notice a difference in the fridge/freezer. It feels as if a little air is coming up but I'm not sure if it's enough to cool down the fridge or freezer.

Give it several hours

may take 24 hrs if Fridge was at room temperature

My fridge is cooling now thanks for your help. Just one more question my kit looked like the first picture that you posted. On the relay I took off there was a black piece on the back that had two spades that fit into the relay. What exactly does this do? Was I supposed to reconnect it?

That piece is a "run capacitor" and can be roconnected just as it was on the other relay. Your unit will run fine w/o it. It just

helps your compressor run a little more efficiently.

Will the old one still work with the prongs burnt a little bit? Is there a way I can test this to see if it's still usable?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0