Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Dehumidifier Life Span

Jerseyfix

After trying to repair my whirlpool dehumidifier I determined with some great help from this site that the compressor is shot. I have ordered a new one to replace it. Is there anything that can be done to help maintain the life of one of these machines? I know keeping the filter is clean. I read somewhere that operating the fan at the highest setting will help maintain the life of a dehumidifier.Any truth to that? Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignoring the fact that most everything is built like crap these days...................

The idea of prolonging the useful like of a dehumidifier by running the fan at a higher speed is kinda , well stupid. The point is for this device to dehumidify right? The most dehumidifing is done when you have a very cold evaporator coil. That is done by passing the smallest amount of air over the coil without it actually freezing up . COLDER coil = more humidity removed.

So we can assume that if there were a device who's whole purpose in life was to suck moisture out of the air , then maybe it was engineered , built and intended to operate at a very low coil temp with a low fan speed. My guess is the higher speeds are for those people who want to use the device as some sort of room fan.

Wait!! we are back to things being built like crap.... The device was intended to work at a low fan speed , if it did not last , It may have been flawed to start off with.

OR you may have just let it get too dirty and it is all your fault it broke. Hard to say................. I would go with flawed product if I were you .

Seriously, Just keep the evaporator/ condenser coil and all fans clean . It is as simple as that. nono.gif

I have to agree with your assessment that these things are just junk. I am wondering has the ending of freon as the refrigerant made these things die sooner? But then if that's true would not refrigerators have the same problem? Seems like if there is a consistent problem with the compressors across all brands then something with that part has changed.am I right?

I am just ticked that I have to replace this thing every few years. I'm seriously considering a whole house unit the next time.

Archived