Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Cellophane

GE TFX26KRDAWW

8 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I just received my new parts from the Repair Clinic and installed everything, however, I still have some concerns. It may be because everything is still cooling down, but I wanted to get some opinions.

Standard issue for a side-by-side; freezer cold as all getout, but the fridge slowly started getting warm.

Pulled the back of the freezer off, all coils frozen solid from top to bottom. Unplugged the unit and waited for everything to thaw out.

Researched the blog, read all of the suggestions and ordered a new Defrost Thermostat, Defrost Heater (yes, I tested it with a meter and it did not have continuity), and I also ordered a new Defrost Timer.

Just finished putting everything back into the box. However, when I tested the voltage between the Defrost Heater wires, on AC test leads to each wire, I get about 50 volts that continues to climb as long as I keep the leads on the wire terminals.

Can someone tell me if I am supposed to have 120 volts between these two wires to the defrost heater? If so, is there something else I need to replace? I can not find anywhere suggesting this box has a motherboard or what is driving the voltage to the defrost heater.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Should be 120v AC

You may have a bad connection somewhere.

Check for 120v AC at the Defrost Timer between Pin 1 to Pin 2

(during Defrost)

Oh, and yes, I did turn the new timer into defrost mode before I tested the voltage.

Just trying to get as much background out there so someone can help me. :thumbsup:

Just finished putting everything back into the box.

defrost thermostat is not closed yet...must be cold before this happens....

Just tested voltage between term 1 & 2 - 120 volts at the timer.....still 40-50 volts at the heater...Will take Kurt's avdice and let everything cool down.

I've now learned not to put my crap back into the freezer and the back, back on until all of this is working. :mellow:

KurtiusInterupptus, can I just tie the wires together on the thermostat and force the heater on? Isn't the thermostat just an open switch until the temp drops and it closes?

Hi All,

My project is over. Because I was impatient, I bypassed the thermostat and twisted the wires together, which present 120 volts at the heater when tested.

Thank you for your help and information.

:D