Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Making A Rukus During Spin Cycle - GE WCVH6260FWW

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 setotitan

setotitan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

Well I posted here three years ago and got the advice to remedy my problem. I'm hoping I can have another round of luck today. I have a GE Front Loading Washer model: WCVH6260FWW. As I said, three years ago I had a bad inverter, let me link you that post in case it helps..

GE WCVH6260FWW - Need Help Install Inverter

I fixed that and everything's been A OK. However just today it started sounding horrible on the spin cycle. I mean just loud knocking like it's going to explode. On top of that there's some black gunk on the clothes when they come out. They're little dots in the shape of the inside washing drum. My wife tried to clean it earlier, but I don't know if that's just gunk breaking loose from where she cleaned or if it's symptom of the spin problem. I've always heard when you get knocking or a loud spin cycle "it's a counterweight that's come loose and the load isn't balancing right when it spins". This obviously is advice from laypeople who can only guess as to what's wrong, but of course have no idea how to fix it.

That's why I'm here, to ask a pro. Is it a counterweight, or something else, and more importantly is it something I can fix myself? Any and all helpful feedback is welcome. Samurai don't fail me now!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

Do this test...
open washer door and grab the top edge of the inner wash basket
push straight up on the basket while steadying the outer drum with your other hand
is there any lateral movement? Or is it tight and secure?
hope for the latter, because the former is the telltale sign of a worn bearing, a broken support spider or both...not worth repair if this is the case.

If all is good here, go around back and take off the cover. Look for a loose pulley on the basket shaft.
of course the counterweights could be loose but you don't need me to tell you how to check this.

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus, 29 June 2011 - 06:22 PM.

As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 setotitan

setotitan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Shoot, just now checking this that I am at work. I'll try what you suggested as soon as I get back home, I'd ask my wife to do it, but I don't know if I'd trust her answer. HAaHaha!

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

How to tell if you have a worn tub bearing or a broken drum suport in your front loading washer

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 30 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

Do this test...
open washer door and grab the top edge of the inner wash basket
push straight up on the basket while steadying the outer drum with your other hand
is there any lateral movement? Or is it tight and secure?
hope...

Read Full Entry →

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics