Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

re: Maytag MAV 5000AWW

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daboss

daboss

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

Aloha Folks-
new to your forum what a great place for help.
My wife and I have a Maytag MAV5000AWW washer. It stopped spinning and agitating recently. So, I thought I would do the easy and least expensive item first:
The belt. The old belt was thin-worn out, there was dust and belt material on all 3 pulleys. Also the small plastic pulley it looked like some of the drive belt
melted onto it as it had a layer of the drive belt on it. So, I cleaned everything up and put on the new belt. The main - large pulley turns freely (is it supposed to
move freely both ways). I also replaced the hot/cold water hoses at the same time.
Machine turns on, cycles it sounds like it could be agitating and spinning but it is not. It does fill up no problem and it does pump out the water fine. So, I am assuming
that the pump is all right.

Is there something else that could be holding it back from both spinning and agitating? I have tools and am willing to give this a go if you could help to point me in the
right direction. Look forward to all advice. Thank you so much.
Mahalo,
glen

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

if the machine fills to the set level and the motor is running
to agitate check underneath and see if the large center transmission
pulley is turning. If it is and the agitator isn't going back and forth then
you have a bad transmission...time to buy another machine.

If the large pulley isnt turning but the motor is running then the belt is slipping on the motor pulley.
Those plastic motor pulley go bad and melt as you described and may be your problem, and if so,
you can't buy the "exact" replacement pulley w/o buying the motor...but, the is another belt and
pulley combination that can be used if you find that this is your problem.

Let us know.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#3 daboss

daboss

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:00 AM

Aloha Appl.tech29501-
thank you for your reply. how can I check with water in the machine to see if the motor is running but the belt is not moving?
As you know, everything is on the bottom. What types of checks would you do or how could you check the machine for this
problem?

Also, is there are way to tighten the tension on the 3 pulleys to make it grip the belt if that is the problem?

Again, thank you for your reply and any advice and/or tricks-tests you can inform me on would be great.
Mahalo,
glen

if the machine fills to the set level and the motor is running
to agitate check underneath and see if the large center transmission
pulley is turning. If it is and the agitator isn't going back and forth then
you have a bad transmission...time to buy another machine.

If the large pulley isnt turning but the motor is running then the belt is slipping on the motor pulley.
Those plastic motor pulley go bad and melt as you described and may be your problem, and if so,
you can't buy the "exact" replacement pulley w/o buying the motor...but, the is another belt and
pulley combination that can be used if you find that this is your problem.

Let us know.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:35 AM

Check info here: http://fixitnow.com/...loading-washer/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Recent blog entries on this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics