Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Rear Drum Bearing - Frigidaire

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 royk

royk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:14 PM

I have a 6 year old Frigidaire FSEC748GFS0 that was making the dreaded squeaking noise.  After ripping it apart using your excellent instructions, it looks like the nylon bearing support may need to be replaced.  However, how do I assess whether I need to replace the bearing itself? It seems to be in good shape with only some very tiny grooves in it - you can feel the grooves with your fingernail but they are maybe as wide as a hair and about as deep . Also, there was a bunch of dark brown dust-like stuff in the bearing support and I'm wondering whether that's from the disentegration of the lubricant or is something else going on?  And finally, since I've got it ripped apart anyway, what are your recommendations for additional preventative maintenance?

Thanks!

Roy

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:41 AM

Sounds like you caught it soon enough so you will only have to replace the nylon support.

The brown dust stuff is the nylon grindings and dryed out lube, (I really believe the white lithium lube that the factory uses for that bearing is inefficient -- The only thing I will use to relube the rear bearing is Heavy Duty- HI-Temp Wheelbearing grease that you can pickup at any auto parts store.)

Clean all the dust and lint out, check the front glides, if the rear bearing is gone then most likely the front glides need replacing also. Check the belt and idler pulley while your in there.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 royk

royk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the advice Willie.  It's all tuned up and running great now.  Hopefully the wheel bearing grease will work better than the stuff they put in at the factory!
Roy

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:55 PM

I can guarantee you the wheel bearing grease is going to work better and last longer then what the factory uses.

Wheel bearing grease is made to handle high pressure and hi heat, that element in the back really heats up the bearing area and that factory white lithium grease just doesn't hold up to the heat in that area.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics