Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Pilot goes out randomly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dbfrager

dbfrager

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:42 AM

I have a State Industries PR640NOLS water heater using a 37C73U 640 gas valve
The pilot lights up. Only takes about 5 seconds for it to stick.

The flame and pilot on this unit shuts off randomly. I have seen it go off after about 1 minute, and another time is was on for > 30 minutes

I tried turning the control to full, and then down to low, and the pilot remained on.

We recently purchased the house, so I don't have any history on this heaters behavior.

As a quick fix, since I already had the burner out, I did replace the thermal coupling, but no help.

Next step is to replace the gas valve, but I want to check first if there was something else I needed to do

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:46 AM

If this is a propane unit, check your inlet pressure.

Check for obstruction in the pilot tube. Make sure everything is nice and clean.
First, do no harm.

#3 dbfrager

dbfrager

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:48 AM

this is Natural Gas, not propane

I took the burner assy out and it was clean. I also confirmed no issues with exhaust.

My new gas valve will arrive today and I will install tomorrow. Hopefully that will resolve the issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics