Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore HE2 Plus Front Load Super Capacity Washer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lunchbox72

Lunchbox72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

Kenmore HE2 Plus Front Load Super Capacity Washer

Today I received the dreaded F-21 error code. This isn't the first time I've had that error, so I knew what to do. I cleaned out the pump drain which had a few items in it, but nothing major. I ran the machine again and again got the error. I can hear the pump kick on, just no movement of water. . So after draining the washer again, I removed the drain pump completely and made sure nothing was caught in it. There was nothing. I tested the pump with power applied and it worked, the pump blades moved as they should. So I replaced the pump and also blew out the drain line that goes into the wall. I replaced everything including the access door and ran the system. Still having f-21 errors with a few 5d errors. I can hear the pump motor working it's just not draining any water. So I thought maybe I'll try blowing (creating back pressure) into the drain line and see what happens. So I took the end of the drain line and blew air (against the flow) while the machine was trying to drain water. Well that definitely did something as my washer began draining water like it should. So I figured "hey maybe that fixed it." Well it didn't. The only way to get the washer to drain properly is to blow in the end of the drain line..

Just wondering if I'm looking at a new drain pump or possibly something else it might be.

I tell you what, although old school washers used more water and electricity, I never had the problems I've had with these more efficient ones... I don't know how efficient they are when they nickle and dime you all the time.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

You need a new drain pump. if you post your model# we can link you the part.
Or, you can go to Repairclinic.com and enter your model #

If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#3 Lunchbox72

Lunchbox72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:38 PM

Thanks. Yeah it's been real weird. The pump motor kicks on and unless I blow into the drain hose the drain cycle won't kick in and I get either an f-21 or 5d error.

My model# is 110.47532602. Looks like it's around $90. Now to decide if the $90 is better spent on fixing it or going towards a better machine. Seems there are lots of problems with this model. Wish I would have researched it a bit more before buying.

Anyways, thanks.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,373 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

Part link for the pump ==> Drain Pump and Motor

$90 is a whole lot less than a new machine. And buying a new one isn't a panacea; you'll still be doing repairs on it every two to four years (industry average) no matter who made it.

#5 Lunchbox72

Lunchbox72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

Yeah I think you're right. I've decided to fix the washer. I do have another question. It just baffles me that I can get the washer to drain if I blow air back into the drain line. That tells me the pumps works.

In the attached image, does the ball (item 4) sit inside the hose assembly (item 6) or between the hose (#6) and the drum? Logically, I would believe it would sit inside the hose (as it was when I took it apart) to prevent back flow into the drum when the pump engages. If it is in the correct position do you think that maybe the hose (#6) could be the problem? If I am blowing air back up the drain line, perhaps I am actually seating the ball preventing back flow causing the pump to work, or is that a stretch?

Thanks again.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Pump.jpg   29.12KB   6 downloads

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,373 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

How are you blowing air into the drain hose?

#7 Lunchbox72

Lunchbox72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

With my mouth. I have to cover the entire end and give it a good push of air. The drain cycle then starts and I "quickly" replace the drain hose into the wall drain.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,373 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

Will it fill with water and tumble normally but you only see the problem when it's time to pump out?

#9 Lunchbox72

Lunchbox72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

Yes. Everything works as it should until it comes time for the drain cycle. That most often leads to the f21 code, sometimes a 5d, and that's if I let it alone. If I blow air into the drain line every time I hear the pump motor kick on, the drain cycle will work and no errors.
I tested it last night and ran a complete wash w/clothes. Every time the pump motor kicked on I blew into the drain line (as mentioned in my last post) and the drain cycle started. It went through the entire wash cycle (quick wash) with no problems apart from having to blow down the drain line every few minutes.

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:20 AM

Yep, sounds like the impeller is stripped on the shaft - Time to unpucker and replace that bioch
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#11 Lunchbox72

Lunchbox72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

Lol... I've unpuckered... already ordered a pump. Just wondering what else it may be.

#12 Lunchbox72

Lunchbox72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

Well it seems that after taking everything out and putting it back in (same parts as the new pump hasn't arrived yet) the washer has gone through a few cycles with no problems, pump is working as it should. Not claiming victory yet... just find it interesting. If it still works after the new pump shows up, I guess I have a spare pump for when it does finally give up.

Thanks all

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,373 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics