Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool washing machine does not agitate properly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GerTAB

GerTAB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:24 PM

Whirlpool model LST9355AW0

Problem:  noticed whiting on our clean clothes, which lead us to discover the agitator, with a normal load of clothes, will move only slightly instead of the normal incremental rotation.

Logic tells me maybe it is time to purchase the agitator dogs, or the Whirlpool agitator repair kit (which comes with the agitator dogs, thrust spacer, cam and seal).

I would appreciate a 2nd opinion from you, the professionals, as to (1) the possible cause(s) for the malfunctioning of the agitator feature, (2) if applicable, should I purchase the repair kit or one or more of the individual parts, (3) any guidance, shortcuts, etc. when working on this washing machine?

Thank you!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:10 AM

Well, how 'bout them dawgs?

#3 The Wizard Of Odds!

The Wizard Of Odds!

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:34 AM

reply to gertab
I think you are on the right track.
do a load, and grab (lightly)the top of the agitator, it should ratchet in a circle by short distances, going in a complete circle.
you are sure the lower part of the agitator is going back and forth?
the amazing thing is : agitators lived on this planet for years without the piece on the top that goes in circles.
Also check to be sure you are not over loading the machine
if it stays in one place when you hold on to it,
go buy the dog kit you described I always found it usefull to use an extension on my rachet wrench, and hold the complete assembly together with one hand on the agitator top and the extension holding it together till you screw in the bolt to the top of the agitator make sure the rubber washer makes a good seal disregard the two white plastic "ears" on the top of the main agitator if you break one, they are not critical

#4 GerTAB

GerTAB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:21 PM

Thank you to Samurai Appliance Repair Man and The Wizard of Odds! for your quick replies.  I have printed out your responses, so I can refer to them later this week when I find time to work on it.

#5 GerTAB

GerTAB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:47 PM

Update to Samurai Appliance Repair Man and The Wizard of Odds!:

I bought the repair kit and performed the repair.  The source of the problem was that one of the four plastic dogs had disintegrated into 4 pieces.  The other three were intact.

Thanks to you, the Whirlpool is now washing the clothes and not leaving soap residue.  My wife is a happy camper.  I saved the cost of a service call and saved time by not having to wait at home for a service person to show up.

The difficult part was trying to pull the agitator top from the agitator itself.  The two white plastic "ears" that The Wizard mentioned was holding firm and didn't want to release the agitator top.  It took some strong yanking to pull them apart.  (I was concerned I was going to break something in the process.)

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the followup!  :party:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics