Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MDE5500AYW dryer problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ShadWarr

ShadWarr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

Now I've pretty much read alot about other people's dryer's running and then shutting off.  Then determined that the motor was bad.  I'm pretty much assuming that.  But the other problem is my LED control panel acts wierd.  The only way it would turn on is press the Signal + button a couple of times, then sensor dry, then start and it would work.  Shut off after about 20 min.  Same thing pressed the Signal + button again a couple times , then sensor dry, then start and it worked for 20 min again, shut off.  Then nothing.  I press all the buttons.....nothing.  Took off the top panel, removed the eletrical circut board.  Noticed 4 big resistors were hot, and had scorched the green board brown in the area around them.  Replaced the board from repairclinic.com.  Now it's doing the same thing.  Could the motor overheating and shuting off cause the circut board to fry?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ShadWarr

ShadWarr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:56 AM

Perhaps I've stumped everyone....

#3 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:36 PM

If you are starting your unit with no clothes in it, it will shut off after 20 minutes because it does not sense any moisture. It will start with say 50 minutes drop to 59,58, 25,15, and finally down to the cool-down stage. These numbers are just random to demonstrate. Now if you have wet clothes in the unit and have a malfunction to the sensor circuit, it would do the same. Now this has no bearing on the other weird paranormal activity you say your board is doing. First thing I would do is break out a schematic and put the board through the keypad diagnostic and see if the contacts are making on the TP. Since that board is receiving power to its transformer at all times whether the unit is running or not, some resisters will be hot. You could have a motor kicking off on thermal limit, but that would effect you from starting the unit in any cycle, including the sequence you are using to start it currently. One question would be is the unit shutting the motor off at no time left (what it should be doing) or is it shutting off the motor with say 20 minutes left and the board counting down the rest of the way with no motor operation. If it does the latter, you could have a motor kicking off on thermal. We would have to break out the meter and go hunting.
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:24 AM

***Perhaps I've stumped everyone....***  Perhaps the tech's who could help you were out working and had not gotten to read the forum yet to see your question.  All are volunteers in here that help out in their spare time...:?.

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:35 PM

I think Trying to Help has stumped our impetuous grasshopper. :dude:

#6 Lurker_no one_*

Lurker_no one_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:12 PM

Ya think???

#7 ShadWarr

ShadWarr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:28 AM

Nevermind.  I'll go buy a new dryer.  When I said "Perhaps I've stumped everyone..." it was meant as a joke.  But apparently "some" people take it personally.  I realize everyone here is a volunteer, and that they help people on their spare time.  I'll also have a job, of which is way I didn't respond to Trying to help's response right away.  I'm sorry I have insulted everyone, including the Fermented Grand Master of Appliantology.  I won't ask anymore questions.  Go ahead and remove my name from your list.

#8 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:03 AM

Please dont take it personally, sometimes it takes a couple of days to get a reply.  We all appreciate that you want to use this site staffed by what I descibe myself as '  AN APPLIANCE GEEK  ".  Who else would spend all day repairing and then spare time virtual fixing. 

We are a resource, and understand that, but we are also people and have own strenghts, and sometimes it can help to PM a sublime one directly, if you see their name pop up on similar posts,  to advise them you have posted.

The opinions expressed in this post are that of the author, and in no way reflect the position of the appliantologist group including our glorious leader, the fermented master:samurai:

please help us to help you, http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#9 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:23 PM

[user=4262]ShadWarr[/user] wrote:

Nevermind. I'll go buy a new dryer. When I said "Perhaps I've stumped everyone..." it was meant as a joke.

Hello, my insulted friend. Yes, we were quite aware that you were joking and we all enjoyed a thunderous, rolling belly laugh at your epigrammatically ironic sense of humour. Therefore, realizing that you were someone with a penchant for clever banter, our illustrious and somewhat-above-average host merely responded in kind. So, we all shared a great, cackling round of thunderous merriment together. You see? Very good.

Allahu Akbar!

#10 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:30 AM

Everyones insulted and I still want to find out what the heck it is!!! Kiwi hit it on the head. Most of us sneak off for a few moments to help because we are just that, "Appliance Geeks". My wife used to hate my job, she now hates this site more! Lucky Hockey is back or she would have our beloved hosts site on the number one spot on her, I can't believe you enjoy that hall of fame.
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:20 AM

She's a hot-head; she's a woman in love.  Feel the love, yo!:moondance:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics