Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore coldspot fridge 10656532400

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bunthead

bunthead

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Redbridge (no glutin)

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

Is it possible to determine if the air baffle on this unit is bad using an ohm meter? I am guessing it's that or a def. control board. Freezer cold, fridge 60 degrees. No ice blockage, fan in the freezer working. Almost no air flow through baffle. Found (baffle) doors closed even when on coldest setting. I have temporarily pulled baffle unit out to facilitate air flow and fridge is now cold. I kind of suspect the control board now because i can't seem to achieve a freezer temp. above 10 below, even at the warmest freezer setting. Thank you.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

some diagnostic info on PDF page 1
Service and Wiring Sheet - W10142159.pdf
posted for a limited time

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 bunthead

bunthead

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:54 PM

Wow! Thank you for that. I will run the diagnostics and go from there.

#4 bunthead

bunthead

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

Hmm. I was unable to start the service diagnostics mode, so I unplugged the unit, waited 30 seconds and tried again. The display only shows numeric cooling levels. There is no pass or fail or any colored light indicators. I will plan to order a new control board. Thanks again.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

Part link for your board ==> Control Board

#6 bunthead

bunthead

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:54 AM

Can anyone tell me if the air baffle assembly controls freezer temps as well as fridge temps? At the lowest setting the compressor will not turn off, and the unit doesn't want to go into defrost mode. My fridge stays too warm unless I remove the baffle. Also, does the loose black wire from the baffle hang into the freezer side? (I forgot). Btw, I have replaced the control board?!

#7 bunthead

bunthead

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

I am thinking I was wrong about the old board not entering the diagnostic mode when it probably actually was. (panicking about warm beer). Also assumed that freezer too cold on lowest setting was the only real clue I needed. Assuming bad.

#8 BSers

BSers

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Samanera, what turned out to be the issue?  My Kenmore Coldspot 106.79205990 is exhibiting identical symptoms.  Anyone with the knowhow who might read this, how can I manually turn/remove the aforementioned air baffle to at least get some chill on da beers?

Mucho Thanko,

Geoff

#9 BSers

BSers

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Okay, disregard the air baffle question.  After dismantling, I found that I'm not getting proper defrosting...quite the ice damn built up, blocking all airflow to the fridge.  Nyah ha!  So, now I have to figure out why she's not defrosting.

Using the wisdom of this board, eight years ago I did the copper-wire extension from the defrost element down into the drain tube, which kept me drip and trouble-free until just recently.  I notice that my copper wire is pretty tarnished; might it be simply that I'm not getting good contact and I just need to replace that wire with a nice new shiny one?

Since I've got the works out of the box anyway, should a local parts place be able to do a quick bench test on the defrost timer and thermostat, and maybe the main fridge thermostat too, and tell me which if any are kaput?

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

... I found that I'm not getting proper defrosting...

...  I notice that my copper wire is pretty tarnished; just need to replace that wire

...  should a local parts place be able to do a quick bench test on the defrost timer and thermostat

... and maybe the main fridge thermostat too

1) post picture of Evaporator frost pattern ?

2) no

3) maybe, but maybe not for free, could also be a bad Defrost Heater

4) Compressor wouldn't run

being a "Merit Apprentice", you should be able to test such devices, yourself.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Check your air return vent for blockage.  It's located just above the upper crisper drawer on the left side of the fresh food compartment.  If found blocked it could be responsible for all of your symptoms.  Best way to clear it is just to turn unit off for at least 24 hours and let it deice itself.  It's very easy to damage the liner or styrofoam air duct by manually deicing.  After clearing should improve air flow but you may warm air intrusion.  Check gaskets and ice door.  Might need to apply sealant to liner lip at cabinet front if any gaps are found.

#12 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

You might still have a bad baffle, as per your earlier post you said it was closed when fridge was warm. When you removed baffle it was allowing too much air to refrig o keep freezer cold enough. An easy way to check return duct, when fridge is running check for airflow at baffle going into refrig section, if no air open freezer door, if you now feel air then the baffle is open and return duct is clogged

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics