Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE PDW8280J03SS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sl1r3

sl1r3

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

I have GE dishwasher that is going on 6 years and recently it has started having problems selecting different wash options. The machine does not have a number display panel, just push buttons along the front for selecting the different wash, delay, and heat options. Each button has a green LED that lights up when the button is pushed. See the attached picture.

Here's the problem -- When I push the "Normal Wash" button, the green LED for that button doesn't light up, however the other Green LEDs work. If I push the Start/Reset button to start the dishwashwer, no matter what selection I have selected, it always switches to the China Crystal cycle. I have tried unplugging and holding the start/reset button, but the behavior does not change.

I'm trying to figure out if there is something I can to do fix this issue -- or if I need to replace some parts.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sl1r3

sl1r3

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

Here's the behavior I'm getting whenever I push the selection buttons:

* If I push the "Rinse Only" button, it's green LED lights up
* If I push the China Crystal button, it's green LED lights up AND the START/RESET green LED lights up and the dishwashers starts running (I didn't push the Start/Reset button)
* If I push the "Normal Wash" button, it's green LED DOES NOT light up, but instead the green LED for the "Rinse Only" button lights up.
* If I push the Cookware button, it's green LED lights up.
* If I push the "Anti Bacteria" button, it's green LED lights up.
* If I push the START/RESET button, it's LED lights up and the regardless of which other button was pushed prior (i.e. green LED is lit) that green LED turns off and the "China Crystal" green LED turns on and the dishwasher starts running.

In summary, even though I can select other modes (except for the "Normal Wash"), whenever I push START/RESET the diswasher starts and automatically changes the selection to "China Crystal".

The "Delay Hours", "Added Heat", and "Heated Dry" buttons all seem to work as normal (i.e. their respective green LEDs light) -- however, I have noticed that after running the dishwasher the dishes are pretty wet and don't seem to be very clean.

Can I take apart the front control panel and clean it or the buttons? Maybe re-solder a connection? Or do I have to buy a new control panel? Is there a repair manual available that will show me how to remove the control panel to clean or replace it?

Thanks!

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

This is probably a bad touchpanel. But let's see if it'll go into service mode. If it does, that means the control board is good and you need a new touchpanel-- normal wash pad is worn out. If not, then it confirms bad touchpanel.

To enter service mode: press the Cookware and Heated Dry pads simultaneously for three seconds.

To exit service mode: press the Start/Restart keypad.

Part Link ==> Touchpad and Control Panel

#4 sl1r3

sl1r3

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

How do I know when it's in Service mode? I pushed the two buttons simultaneously and heard a clunk noise and the normal wash LED and heated dry LEDs both turned on.

I waited for a little bit and then I saw all of the selection LEDs light up and then right after that they turned off and the Enhancement LEDs all lit up including the 2,4,8 delay hour LEDs. And then everything turned off.

Is there some further diagnostics I can do while in Service Mode?

Thanks.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

Sounds like Service Mode! You can confirm entering Service Mode again and then pressing the China/Crystal button. This should energize the water valve and water should flow into the basin.

If all that's good, then replace the touchpanel that I linked you to previously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics