Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Admiral AAV7000AWW Agitates during spin & slow spin

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jessehclark

jessehclark

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Stripe or Guiness

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hey everyone!! Please be nice, I'm a handy guy but 100% new to washing machine repair! I've searched the forums and done quite a bit of reading, so I think I know what's going on, but I would really appreciate the pros weighing in to let me know what they think.

I have an Admiral aav7000aww top load belt drive washer manufactured in july 2006. I bought it on craigslist when it was 2 months old for a song. Apparently these are just like the Maytag Atlantis in relevant part. The machine fills, drains, and agitates 100% OK. I believe this rules out the timer, motor, and pump. However, when it enters the spin cycle, it spins slowly (if at all) and continues to agitate. If i hold the upper agitator that seems to encourage some half-hearted spinning. There were some clicking/popping noises intermittently. From what I understand, this problem is the transmission, maybe something about the agitator cams? (I read this in respect to another washer, so it may not apply) btw the large pulley underneath the washer turns freely by hand in both directions. is that normal?

Fortunately, my transmission is under warranty for another 5 years, and Admiral was kind enough to mail me a new one- it will be here in a week.

1) while i wait, are there any other diagnostic steps I can take to make sure this is the issue before replacing the transmission only to find out that was not the problem?

2) if it is the transmission, how do i go about replacing it?

Disassembly procedure to my understanding:
pop off top of washer and rotate back (done)
remove front panel (done)
remove tub ring (done)
remove upper agitator bolt and upper agitator. (i need to find my wrench extension)
remove lower agitator.
remove 4 bolts and remove inner basket.
remove shaft seal and nut with plumber's wrench (carefully, and right hand thread. upper half, then lower half...any way to do this without a spanner?)

aaand thats about as far as i have been able to determine...i know at some point the 6 springs have to come out, and belt has to come off, but when? i'm trying to do my homework before the part gets here.

thanks for all your help, a million times over.

-jesse "soggy towels" clark

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:52 AM

However, when it enters the spin cycle, it spins slowly (if at all) and continues to agitate.

You nailed it: on these machines, spinning and agitating at the same time == bad transmission.

Your basic procedure it right, too. The transmission comes with an instruction sheet.

If you'd like the manual, see this page ==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics