Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool washing maching thumping noise

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 broschb

broschb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:22 PM

I have a whirlpool washing machine. It is model number LSQ9600Lw1. It runs fine until it gets to the spin cycle, it then makes a loud thumping noise till we open the lid or the spin is over. It will then stop or start to fill for the rinse cycle depending on where it is at. It operates fine other than this. It is only about 2 years old. Any suggestions appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,928 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:31 PM

Sounds like one of the washers footings isn't quite on the ground and this allows the washer to rock during spin. More info here.

#3 broschb

broschb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

Thank you for your reply. I ran a spin cycle with no water and the machine is not moving at all, and when i lift the lid and the drum is still spinning the noise although i originally described it as thumping is almost a loud click. It kinda sounds like driving on a flat tire. It clicks or thumps then rests and repeats. Hope this helps, i'm new to this and appreciate the help.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

[user=439]broschb[/user] wrote:

It kinda sounds like driving on a flat tire. It clicks or thumps then rests and repeats.

Ah ha!  We've had a rash of this problem here at the Samurai School.  See this thread.

#5 broschb

broschb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:13 PM

I looked at the drive shaft, it looks good but I took a picture of it.

Attached Files

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:18 PM

This may be the "no power to run windiing" issue - is this a thump-click every couple of seconds? Does it happen on all speeds?
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 broschb

broschb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:28 PM

yes this happens on all speeds

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:47 PM

[user=13]Mad Mac[/user] wrote:

This may be the "no power to run windiing" issue

Not familiar with that one-- seems like it wouldn't run at all if that were the case.

I am very familiar with the problem of both the high speed and low speed windings being energized simultaneously as a result of a bad timer. But this problem creates a growling noise (called brinneling) in the motor.

Pray tell us more of this "no power to run winding" problem of which you speak, oh thou maddest of the mad!

#9 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:23 PM

Here's what happens - Power to start winding, motor starts, centrifugal switch kicks over to run - no power to run winding, so motor slows down again, switch kicks back over to start, the whole process starts again. This is accompanied by dimming of lights if switched on. Motor will overheat and trip out on the thermal. I used to see a lot of this on the Whirlpool-built Kenmore direct drives, the connectors on those are notorious for broken wires/poor connections.

What led me to this was the comment "It kinda sounds like driving on a flat tire. It clicks or thumps then rests and repeats". Usual way to check is by selecting a different speed, need to be helluva unlucky to have it on more than one.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#10 broschb

broschb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:37 PM

It does it on all speed, but while spinning it doesn't make it it is when i open the top and it stops or it is finishing the spin cycle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics