Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Ungrateful Customers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wobiii

wobiii

Ikkō-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:39 AM

So every once in a while I'll run into a public service (State trooper) official that seems like a great person and deserves a break for once. Today I was proven wrong and was disheartened by the experience. I had been there before and through the company charged him full price to change his ice maker. Today he called back to tell me his frige wasn't cooling but when I got there I saw a evap half frosted with snowball ice in an Amana frige. Ok, terminator is bad and we may have a freon problem as well. Checked it out and saw that the condenser was dirty as my weenier dogs after a week of good rain and overgrown wet grass. Spent the better part of an hour propping the frige backward against the wall dropping and blowing out the condenser out with my shop vac and brushing the dust out of it. Finally set it back down after putting the brackets back on, plugged it in and the dreaded sound of compressor death popped up. The compressor was smoking hot so I figured that eventually it would cool off, pressures would equalize and it would start up again no problem. Well after about 30 min of waiting, still wouldn't start up. Told him I'd be back because I was over an hour late for my next appointment and we found a fan to put on it for the time being. Went to next call, finished up and went back. Plugged in frige and same thing. Said I'm going to kick it in the ass with a hard start the replace the relay but only had a left over uro41 on the truck since I don't use hard starts or uro 41's. Tried that a few times and still no luck. I was not ready to give up on the compressor and told him I'd come back tomorrow with a stronger hard start to get the compressor going when I put the back on and plugged it in the compressor started up normally. Whew, ok didn't think the compressor was really bad. Changed the terminator live since I didn't want to take a chance turning off the compressor again and having the same problem. After about 2 and a half hours dealing with this refrigerator I told him I'd take it easy on him and charge him $105 for the repairs made, next to nothing in my opinion. He said no really how much and started writing a check out. He made it to cash and wrote it for $50. I was in a really awkward situation. I still don't know if he may have heard me wrong and thought I deserved more or figured that's all he should pay for it. I rewrote the invoice took my check and left. Last time I'll try to help him out with a low ball price. Lesson learned.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

You'll get the last laugh....compressor Proably won't last a month.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:46 AM

Hard start kits should never be used on compressors for a permanent repair, they should ONLY be used to make the compressor last until the customer can go shopping for a new refrigerator or until you can go back to replace the compressor.
Scott Wolf

#4 wobiii

wobiii

Ikkō-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

You'll get the last laugh....compressor Proably won't last a month.

Follow up

Guy tries to call me, and of course I don't return his call and he ends up calling a friend of mine a couple weeks ago. Being familiar (listening to me whine confusedly) he goes out, tells him the only thing he can do is to put on a hard start it and good luck to ya. Small town this is.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

#5 vineman

vineman

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Priorat

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hard start kits should never be used on compressors for a permanent repair, they should ONLY be used to make the compressor last until the customer can go shopping for a new refrigerator or until you can go back to replace the compressor.

I'm very aware that we shouldn't use hard start kits for permanent repairs but that is strictly academic to me. Can someone tell me what the technical problem is? I have heard about the fire risks (which is plenty enough to go with) but I understand there are other technical reasons why it is bad practice.

#6 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

Overloads are designed to shut the compressor off based on temperature or during over current situations. If the compressor seizes or short cycles, the overload reacts due to the compressor overheating. Since the overload on a hard start isn't attached to the compressor, it won't react quickly enough and compressor damage will occur. Next, a hard start overheats the start winding at each startup due to two reasons. First, the built in start capacitor packs too much of a punch. Second, the built in relay is designed to work on a large range of compressors. Because of this, when it is installed on a modern compressor, the start winding is energized for a longer period of time than designed. In my opinion, hard starts should only be used to get a compressor that wont start on the factory relay going again. I will retain the factory overload when I install one in order to protect the compressor from overheating. I also inform the customer that the compressor is already bad according to factory standards and a hard start will only buy them a little time.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:38 PM

We hashed this out in great detail a couple of years ago, you might be able to find the thread. I was firmly on the side of not using them.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

Yup - we've beaten that horse to death many times over, here's some of the highlights:

http://applianceguru...rum1/22048.html

http://applianceguru...rum1/25293.html

http://applianceguru...rum1/28121.html

http://applianceguru...rum1/11587.html

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics