Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Tappan 30-4979-00102 Stove EOC Science Experiment Pending.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RJ Kanary_old

RJ Kanary_old

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

This turn-of-the century relic has developed a genuine dislike for power outages specially within the last five years.Usually EOC failure codes would present after a power outage ,but a couple of Microsoft repairs would restore harmony.The most recent four and a half hour power outage put an end to that. 'Wa' could not be restored.

{Visions of F-5 dancing in my head. :)}

With a shut down of the Federal Government looming and my disability stipend in jeopardy, a replacement EOC is not on my horizon.Armed with this information, I feel that my attempting to repair the EOC can't possibly make anything worse, and just might be doable.My initial recon mission has given me hope.<G> I took note of corrosion on some of the circuit traces. No external moisture incursion appears to have occurred.So what is wet in electronic devices and loves to corrode things? Escaping electrolyte from electrolytic capacitors ! The two 21 year old 1,000uF 35VDC Nichicon capacitors in the power supply section are wetting the bed. <VBG> I was able to trace the stain and corrosion back to them.

When electrolytics lose their juices, their ability to accept and store electrons diminishes, their internal resistance climbs, and everyone downstream is unhappy. I've been wanting to install larger ones to make it more tolerant of glitches anyway, so hopefully these crippled up hands will be up to the task.Keep watching this space for updates, and all comments are welcome as this experiment should begin in August. Stay tuned.

RJ
RJ Kanary
ASE® Certified Master Automotive Technician

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

keep us informed !

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 RJ Kanary_old

RJ Kanary_old

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

The preliminary prove out is encouraging.With the new electrolytics, a 20 second loss of power will not stop timekeeping, and a 30 second outage will not cause the EOC to go stupid.Best of all, no more "F-5'. <VBG>

Details of repair later. :)
RJ Kanary

#4 RJ Kanary_old

RJ Kanary_old

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Here's the repair in detail. The capacitors in question are right handy to the power transformer and the rectifiers.OEM specs are 1,000uF @ 35 VDC, I replaced them with 2,200 uF @ 50 VDC.They are Sprague-Vishay products, available at Mouser Electronics.(75-517D228M050FR6AE3)
There is plenty of room in this area to fit them.

Years ago, many manufacturers fell victim to purchasing knock off electrolytic capacitors that had a price that seemed to good to be true. { And it was! }The pirates that stole the electrolyte formula didn't get all the ingredients, and millions of these timebombs were produced and used.Robertshaw was apparently so victimized,thinking they had purchased the real deal Nichicon product.

The capacitor failure, though bad enough, isn't the whole story.The collateral damage caused by the oozing electrolyte is what really make the final repair more challenging.In my case, given the lack of fine motor skills I now have, the point-to-point repairs that I had to make to dissolved traces on the PC board just heightened the entertainment level. :) Thorough cleaning of the boards with a neutral cleaner is recommended to prevent later gremlins.The electrolyte HAS to be corrosive to do its job. Problems start when it escapes and finds copper. :(

I am curious to see if others will be able to save some of these expensive, made of Unobtanium controls.

Edited by RJ Kanary, 08 August 2011 - 12:16 PM.

RJ Kanary

#5 RJ Kanary_old

RJ Kanary_old

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:32 PM

A follow up on the repair.The good folks at FirstEnergy gave the repair an even more rigorous test starting at 05:00 today.A complete outage lasting 40 seconds, followed by two hours of reduced voltage due to the loss of a phase. [AGAIN.]The loss of a phase resulted in an incoming voltage reduction to 95 - 98 VAC from the usual 121-125 VAC. The stove never made a peep, lost timekeeping or needed reset.

If you should encounter the F-1 F-5 plague on one of these, I think taking a close look at the EOC before reaching for your wallet could be well worth the time. :)
RJ Kanary

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

Nice Update ! I wonder if the new replacement board has the same crappo components ...............

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 RJ Kanary_old

RJ Kanary_old

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:31 AM

Probably. And to make matters worse, the degradation of the faux formula electrolyte occurs without component usage.Odds are, the NOS replacements that are still in the supply chain have already timed out . :(
RJ Kanary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics