Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Corsaire Rheem Air Conditioner FADB-048JAS

maddyn99

I need some help with a capacitor problem. I have AHS (arrrrgh!!!) and every time my AC breaks the send someone different out to work on it. Today will be the 5th time in less than a year for the same problem. I have been told each time its a capacitor. Obviously something is making the capacitor go bad. There are no obvious signs of a bad capacitor. Its not swollen or bulging. What can be causing this problem? Its hard to tell, but it looks like it might be wired incorrectly? The wiring diagram is a bit beat up but I cant find a clean copy anywhere online and Rheem was less than helpful.

Here is the wiring diagram.

SAM_0773.jpg

The way its wired....

SAM_0772.jpg

Bottom view of the cap...

SAM_0770.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a HVAC master, but from what I can see, it looks OK.

Is it the small Capacitor (for the Fan) that always needs replacing ?

It may be a bad Fan Motor.

With power removed, can you turn the Fan Motor Shaft by hand ?

Does it turn easily, smoothly ?

90-23238-01-10.pdf

90232380110.jpg

Cool thanks for the wiring diagram. I guess what I was referring to is that there is no wire coming from the run capacitor on the FAN spot. Shouldn't there be? Or is that because there is a small fan capacitor? The fan does spin easily by hand and I don't hear any grinding or squeaking or anything that sounds like resistance.

... there is no wire coming from the run capacitor on the FAN spot.... Or is that because there is a small fan capacitor?

yes, the Dual Capacitor costs about $50

the smaller (separate) replacement Capacitor for the Fan is only about $5

The problem may be the capacitors your contractor is using. The ugly truth is that capacitors are being built like Crap today. Chinese capacitors are VERY BAD compared to other countries of manufacture . I t is very possible that you have received 4 faulty capacitors.

BUT!!!! The primary thing that will make a Cap go bad is extreme heat. If it is not defective to start off with.

Is your condenser coil very dirty? That will killl a CAP. Is your fan motor spinning slower than it is intended to? . Is it possible that the wrong motor is installed and spining too slow? dead too....

Also YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE 2 seperate capacitors installed in your situation . You seem to have a fine brand new 45 / 5 mfd capacitor installled . why is the fan not hooked up to the ??brand new?? 45/5 capacitor?

Maybe call back and ask for the senior tech to come take a look. there is a problem that the green guys are not seeing.

Make sure the guy that comes out checks pressures , temperatures , and AmP draw of all componets .

Good Luck

Archived