Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag 3 door bottom freezer fridge MFD2561HEB

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Old Sarge

Old Sarge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tsing Tao

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

No cooling in BOTH compartment so I think the fanI replaced last year is still working. I think I have the starter going out orthe compressor. The unit clean and condensation fan works fine. Every fewminutes it buzzes from the rear near the compressor for about 5-10 seconds thebuzz stops abruptly. Compressor is hot to the touch. I'm not sure what to thinkof that. Is it just hot due to the nature of the device and what it does or isthis heat excessive? Also, if the starter is in death throes wouldn't that meanthe compressor is not starting and therefore should not be hot? I am addingthis since I have not seen this problem on this unit after searching theforums, hopefully others who come after me will be able to save time and effortif I record my efforts and results here.
My next steps are to locate the starter which I think should be right on theside of the compressor but looks nothing like the pic in the parts store. Ialso need to find procedures for testing the starter as well as the compressor.I will add to the thread with my finding and results soon
Let the adventure begin!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

sounds like you need a Compressor Start Relay..
OR the Compressor may be bad..
should un-plug the Fridge till you install the new Relay

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1159182

00741569.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Old Sarge

Old Sarge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

First, turns out the start relay and capacitor were exactly what I thought they were. Seems looking at them from a different perspective, standing on my head made them look a bit different than the pic our helpful fall has posted and shook my confidence. If you are looking at it for the first time it is the only thing attatched to your compressor with wires to it. I read elsewhere on this site a bad relay and starter would give a rattle when shaken. This one did not. The only electrical conection pins on the compressor and I suspect this is about universal are the ones the start relay plugs into.

To check your compressor you need to use an ohm meter or one of the cheap light bulb circuit test many handy folks have. Seems the exact resistance is not so important, we can assume it would be different for different compressors. What we are looking for is an open, so no ohms reading or no little light means a bad compressor. I got 6.5 ohms so I am calling that test good.

disconecting the nearby fan to eliminate distraction and placing a hand on the compressor reveals no sound or movement of the compressor. Since it is mounted on rubber gaskets we gotta guess it should give us some kinda shake and shimmy.
So here is where we sit now, although the starter passes the rattle test and I put the ohm meter on the capacitor and it read open as it should have it still does not seem to get the compressor going. The compressor is warm, but still. Let's theorize a bit. The starter is getting the correct input, the buzzing sound it makes shows it is trying to start the compressor. The circulation fan inside the unit works, I feel it blowing. the condesor fan works see it turm. The problem as RegUS PatOf correctly points out should be the starter or the compressor, both however pass the standard test mentioned on this site and I think they are some pretty reliable tests ( I may be an appliance grass hopper but I got a black belt in radio electronics, I know stuff like fans and relays, compressors not so much).

So here is my conclusion, the compressor or relay/capacitor starter is bad or the compresser is bad in a way the shake test and pin ohm-ing cannot reveal. I am leaning in the direction of the compressor. To heat up without seeming to move or start just seems real wrong to me. The contents of the compressor are a mystery to me but to compress is recon it needs an electronic motor to move, the wiinding we just tested and found good. Motors have bearings and moving parts in addition ot motor windings so there is where I think the problem is. We got frozen bearings or some other mechanical defect of the compressor motor.

I now wil await correction and or further guidance from the collective wisdom here assembled.

#4 Old Sarge

Old Sarge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

Here is someadditional info I should have thought to add for the less mechanically adept. Thisis for regarding my refrigerator, yours may differ. The starter relay/capacitorassemble comes apart with a light tub. The relay portion attaches to the pinson the compressor and comes off with a light tug. The wiring harness to yourrelay/capacitor assembly will probably come off simply with a light tug afteryou locate and push the retaining tabs on the connector. These should beobvious after a quick visual inspection and short head scratching.

I would alsolike to repeat for emphasis REGpat’s statement, it is time to turn the buggeroff. If the compressor windings wereshorted or bearings bad I worry it couldoverheat and burn down the house. Also this sucker aint gonna be coolinganything anytime soon, no need to waste the watts! Now it is time to grab awarm beer and wait for my better to give me some new tests or just convince methe solution lies on a new appliance store sales floor.

Also, I just looked over my last post. Sorry, I promise to compose with a word processing program and then paste it here after a proper edit! That was so bad I almost wondered what I was saying!

#5 Old Sarge

Old Sarge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

Now deplooying the traditional troubleshoot by shopping method. starter capacitor/relay assembly is ordered on enroute. If that don't fix it time for a new fridge. This is the 4th major repair I have done on this piece of slag in 5 years and I am not putting anymore large bills into it. They got energystar rated gear that is 30% more efficient than comparable units. That's starting to sound pretty sweet.

I will post results after the part is installed, stand by for fun!

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

:bigcoffee:
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 Old Sarge

Old Sarge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

went witht he parts guys that support the site. They were competitive on price, I know this because I shopped my arse off. I wanted to jump in my car, get the part NOW and giet this thing fixed or condemned and return to modern living with indoor plumbing and refregeration.

Here's the thing kids, unless you need a VERY common part yer locals aint got it but they can get it for you by Friday. My part was so darn common all I gave a local on the phone was the model number of the refridgerator and he up and shouts, "oh, start up relay huh? WTF? There is enough demand for the bugger you know what I need before I tell you but you don't keep one in stock? May as well order online, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT YOUR LOCAL DUDE IS DOING WHEN HE TELLS YOU HE CAN HAVE IT FOR YOU BY FRIDAY!!!!

i'm just saying, my findings are you aint getting it faster going local and you aint getting it cheaper going local so unless the owner of the nearby appliance place is family or a best friend from high school just use the Applientolgy recomeded site.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,807 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

Domo for the testimonial, Sarge! Posted Image

#9 Old Sarge

Old Sarge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

Good news and bad news thrill seekers! The starter relay and capacitor arrived with great speedy speed. The bad news it failed to start the compressor. Our troubleshooting indicators are all 100% and we have maximum confidence in the diagnosis, bad compressor. Yup, sound the worst case scenario alarm. The one thing I have not the skills, knowledge or tools to replace. Appliantology has saved me huge coin over the years on my own stuff and even empowered me to help others. Hey, I'm an Air Force Communications Electronics Tech, not an appliance dude but with Fixitnow.com I do pretty good but I think it is time to surrender. I price the compressor at $217 through fix it now but I am on my third phone call to clueless dolts that cannot give an estimate for the repair or won't brave the wilderness to work out here where I live. Funny part is one of them is less than five miles me but they do not "serve the area south of the I-20 interstate". Nobody wants to take my money to come out and fix the thing, it won't fit in the trunk of my MINI Cooper, it breaks down once a year obviously the appliance gods are speaking and they say go shopping. I will now repair with the mightiest tool in any handyman's tool belt, the MasterCard.

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

. Appliantology has saved me huge coin over the years on my own stuff and even empowered me to help others. with Fixitnow.com I do pretty good

Yet. no apprenticeship ??

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#11 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:29 PM

And Old Sarge is suddenly silent.:peepwallA:

#12 Old Sarge

Old Sarge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

I’ve been dealing with appliance folks and lost my faith in the free market. A consumer with cash should be RAPIDLY separated from that cash and RAPIDLY provided an appliance. There was one retailer that understood this but I went to three who didn’t first.
The old fridge was high end. I think I could pay a pro for a compressor job and still sell it at a profit. Getting it fixed would be a pain. 3 AM calls from rednecks tweaking on meth offering 3 chickens and a mud flap with a reclining nude chrome figure on it for something I advertised at $1000.00 has little appeal. I am tossing logic and economics out the window and going with my temper and a free haul off service.
First time ever, I got the overpriced extended warranty. I spent more on parts the last 2 years. Since I coughed up the cash this bugger will go 5 years problem free just so I get no use of that policy. I think the same force of nature makes it rain if you wash your car.
The wife’s crushed ice in the door obsession is satisfied. My obsession, the chilled water inside the Maytag had a large rubber covered switch ABOVE it. It was so obvious the button belonged below the outlet so you could depress it with the glass making it a one handed operation. I’ll miss cussing about that.
Regarding an apprenticeship, I have not stumbled across that concept during my time on fixitnow.com. If it is some way of supporting the site I just might do that. I have been freeloading on Fixtitnow too long TODAY I will subscribe to a newsletter, donate to the beer fund (as I like beer I like this method of showing support) or pay for an apprenticeship or something! Going through the site for parts doesn't seem to cut it.

#13 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

:thumbsup: Good on ya !

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image :whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics