Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Payne 394 upflow furnace

ridodami4

HELP my air conditioner is out , when I start the unit I can hear the click for the motor but it doesnt start I need troubleshooting help Thanks the blower motor

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reach in there and turn the motor, does it turn free?. Check the capacitor for signs of swelling and leakage.

The relay might be clicking but not making contacts inside. A furnace uses low speed to operate the heat and is always wired to run on low. When air condition is called for the relay clicks and switches from low speed to high speed for cooling. Might be the contacts in there are fried.

Post some photos of your blower and the controls for a more precise answer. Let us see what you have if you can.

post-2707-0-07196600-1311891521_thumb.jp

Thanks for the quick response, I love this site!

The motor spins freely and wht I think is the capacitor looks really ugly unit is about 20 yrs old and 2 years ago I replaced the circuit board as soon as the wife gets home I will post some photos

Here is a test to see if the motor is bad .

turn off power to unit

At the circiut board find and remove the PR-1 wire. move it out the way.

Find the black wire marked HI on the board . remove HI wire and place on PR-1 terminal.

You are now directly powering the fan motor(bypassing the circuit board) to test the motor .

Put cover back on blower and turn on power to heater. The motor will run now if it is ok.

If the motor runs replace the circuit board.

If the motor does not run replace the motor and capacitor.

I ran the test ancd the motor runs, but not at full speed for air. Is the pic I posted the capacitor or the contactor and could this be the problem. if not capacitor where is it?

If the motor runs by bypassing the control board , the problem is the control board . take loose the control board and look at the back of the board behind those small black boxes . you will likely see a burn mark. Regardless of wheather or not you see anything the board will have to be replaced .

It is often the case when a motor is failing it will draw alot more amperage than the relay contacts are rated for and burn out the board.

It is very possible to have a failed / failing motor and a burnt control board.

SUCCESS!!!!! Replaced the capacitor, no luck . Pulled the blower motor and it was bad, replaced it today and the wife is smiling again!

Total cost $198.99. thank you all for your responses, Ridodami4

And the beer of the day for today is...Flying Dog Double Pale Ale!!

Archived