Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fisher & Paykel slow fill

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kevvie

kevvie

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:13 AM

I have a GW501 washer, now 12 years old. It has started to fill up very s-l-o-w-l-y, to the point of being unusable.

I have checked all filters, they are ok. The resistance of the solenoids reads at 15 Ohms for each, so I assume the problem is elsewhere - especially since both hot and cold water are equally slow.

I've seen some discussion on this topic at http://fixitnow.com/...n-fisher_30.htm and am guessing it is the power control and pressure sensing module, but the online parts supplier doesn't seem to have a part with that description - closest is http://spares.allied...ontrol&x=33&y=8

Any suggestions? (either part names or what the problem might be)

Thanks,

Kev.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:19 AM

Are you on a well?  If so, and given the age of the washer, it's likely the valve assembly needs to be replaced.  What you're describing is ezzacly what happens when sediment from a well gets into the valve and gunks it up.

Also, check your water pressure at the hose.  If you filter screens in either end of the hose, remove and/or replace them.

Buy your parts directly from Fisher-Paykel.  You'll get a better price and you know you'll be getting a genuine replacment part.

#3 kevvie

kevvie

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. No wells anywhere near me, we have a good clean soft water supply. I have checked the hoses, good pressure all the way through, and disassembled everything to the solenoid to make sure there were no signs of any gunk. In fact they were all spotless.

Since we only ever have used cold water in the machine, and the problem exists equally for the hot and cold water, and the solenoids read ok from a resistance perspective, I am assuming it is the control board. Which I have since found out is $230 for a reconditioned one. If I did have to replace the inlet valves, that comes to $94. And the pump is on it's way out, which is $76 I know will be coming along soon.

Methinks it is time to cave in to the boss of the house and buy a new machine (which is bigger as well).....

Cheers,

Kevin.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,809 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:58 AM

No need to guess about it: an easy check would be to measure the supply voltage at the water inlet valve solenoid terminals.  If you're getting junk voltage then, yepper, you got yer self a bad control board.  Voltage good?  Then the valve is trash.  Slam dunk.

And who charges $94 for a valve!?  Sounds like I've been drastically undercharging and leaving money on the table!  :shock:

#5 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:42 PM

[user=23]kevvie[/user] wrote:

Since we only ever have used cold water in the machine, and the problem exists equally for the hot and cold water, and the solenoids read ok from a resistance perspective, I am assuming it is the control board. Which I have since found out is $230 for a reconditioned one. If I did have to replace the inlet valves, that comes to $94. And the pump is on it's way out, which is $76 I know will be coming along soon.

The website is in Australia. So the price quoted should be in Aust $.

The website states that these soleniods (COLD and HOT inlets) are 12V. But it does not tell us whether it is 12Vdc or 12Vac. So you might have to use the multi-meter wisely. You could test and operate the soleniods if you have the correct external 12V sourve.

The Seven

#6 kevvie

kevvie

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:03 AM

That's a good point.

I put the meter on the solenoids with the following results:

COLD WASH: cold terminals 12V. hot terminals 0V

WARM WASH: cold terminals 12V. hot terminals 7.6V

HOT WASH: cold terminals 12V. hot terminals 12V

So I guess that means the controller board is working and I have two faulty solenoids. Funny that the cold one is more expensive ($AU57) than the hot one ($AU37) but I'm sure the spare parts pricing guys had a good reason.

Looks like it lives for a little longer yet.

Thanks for the help.:D

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,809 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:43 AM

Glad to help.  Nice troubleshootin', Hoss!  :dude:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics