Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

warm refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buddy1

buddy1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:07 PM

Our Kenmore refrigerator is 14 years old. It is a Model # 363.9611580.

I put a thermometer in the freezer section and it reads 0 degrees. I moved the thermometer down to the refrigerator section and it reads 46 degrees. I can't get the refrigerator cold enough. I adjusted all the controls to the lowest settings.

Since the freezer is working, I don't know were to look for the problem. Help.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:09 AM

Your going to find one of two problems.

Either the defrost system has failed and the evaporator is plugged with ice so no air flow can get to the refrigerator

OR

The fan in the freezer has stopped working, (The fan pushes the cold air from the freezer down to the refrigerator.

It will be obvious if the fan isn't working, when you open the freezer do you hear the fan running, if not then there's your problem.

If the fan is running then remove the back panel of the freezer and see if the coils are pluged with cystally ice.

Report back with what you find and if it's the evaporator pluged with ice someone here will guild you thru checking your defrost system.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 buddy1

buddy1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:35 AM

That’s what I thought. 

Last night, I started out by vacuuming out the condenser coils under the refrigerator. While I was down there I heard the compressor come on and saw the condenser fan come on. 

I took the back of the freezer out, to check the evaporator coils for ice. There wasn’t any. While I had it opened the evaporator fan came on.

Since the freezer gets cold enough, I assumed that the refrigeration system must be working. The compressor must be good and have enough refrigerant.

I figured the problem must be getting cold air from the freezer to the refrigerator. I could not get the Damper Housing off of the vent, in the refrigerator compartment. With the evaporator fan on, I could feel cool air coming out of the vent. I could not check the vent for an obstruction like ice.

Before going to bed, I checked the refrigerator compartment temperature. It was 42 degrees. This morning I checked it again, it was 46 degrees. The evaporator fan was not on. I am wondering it the evaporator fan is not coming on as much as it should? I have the refrigerator compartment controls maxed out. Shouldn’t the evaporator fan be on constantly? Could I have a faulty thermostat?

#4 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:06 AM

[user=445]buddy1[/user] wrote:

I adjusted all the controls to the lowest settings.

What does it mean "the lowest settings"?

The Seven

#5 buddy1

buddy1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:33 AM

The temperature control knob is turned to number "9". This is the coldest setting on the Control Temp (p/n WR09X0411).

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:51 AM

If you have the freezer control set to the coldest setting, you're starving the beer compartment for cold air.  Read about how these controls work together here.

#7 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:10 AM

[user=445]buddy1[/user] wrote:

This morning I checked it again, it was 46 degrees.
The evaporator fan was not on.
I have the refrigerator compartment controls maxed out.
Could I have a faulty thermostat?

Yes, you found the cause and need a new thermostat.:)

The Seven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics