Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Rheem Central AC Model RAHE-036JAS FAN STOPPED, unit seems working

nowchinatown

nowchinatown

be great for anyone to reply, my problem seems similar to this thread http://applianceguru...um13/8823.html#

but can't email users in there, maybe cuz i'm new user. so turned on at thermostat as usual, a few minutes i hear a loud buzzing so looked and no fan spinning. don't know if it was spinning for first few minutes or not. fan moves freely both directions. waited ten minutes and hour to restart, no spin.

could it be fuses only and not motor? is there online manual so i can see how to change fuses first before trying other stuff unless it can't be fuses only. turning on at thermostat seems like rest of unit is working as usual just no fan. have not had any work on it or motor replaced since i moved in 6 years ago. it's a 1992 model

rheem classic x super high efficiency, Model RAHE-036JAS made 6/92, serial 4013 F2492 4047, 208/230 1 phase 60 hertz compressor 15.5/15.5 LRA 81 Outdoor fan motor FLA 1.3

min supply circuit 21/21 max fuse or HACR 35/35 amp min fuse or HACR 25/25

i'm handy and do basic electric and construction and fixed my heater so hope i can fix this but first time on central air, thnx guys, much appreciate it,

sweating it out!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing you should do is check to see if you have 220 volts to the condensing unit with a voltmeter.

Next thing to check , is the contactor pulled in? is the unit getting 24 volts ac on the thermostat wires entering the unit?

if both of the above are ok , take a peek at the capacitor( the silver round thing) . It should be totally flat on the top. if it is not , it is failed. and a failed capacitor will keep the unit from starting.

nowchinatown

thnx hakuna,

yep all that is good, cap is flat, have current, contactor pulls in, no leaks anywhere, except old oil leaks under motor bottom and i never put oil in that thing for 6 years. and it's a 92 emerson long pole . is ur guess it's the motor? it's my guess but i'm not hvac guy but that's my gut feeling. know a place i can a good oem one and not a cheap one that'll only last two years? i don't think i can buy from johnstone supply since i'm not a contractor

http://www.northamericahvac.com/servlet/the-2476/GE-EMERSON-FAN-MOTOR/Detail

it's on ebay too by same seller

but would rather get local in Los Angeles or at least online where i can return/exchange, and i've watched vids on youtube for replacing the motor and that will be a snap. question though, is there some balancing or correct height the fan needs to be set at? if so how do i do that, i didn't see the guy do that on the hvac youtube video

thnx!

You have never once said the compressor is running. Is the compressor operating and the fan motor not?

Have you tested voltage or anything else I asked for? YOU CANNOT just guess that it might be the fan motor just because you do not see it spinning.

When you turn on the unit does a Crapload of heat come out of it for a while?? if the answer is no , then the compressor is NOTrunning and you have a no power or failed capacitor problem.

GO buy a meter and check back when you can give some definite answers. No Guessing ! confused.gif

nowchinatown

yep compressor is running and fan not. coils real hot when unit is on just no fan, waiting for my friends meter during the week, will report findings;)

(as noted capacitor has no leaks and is nice and flat all round) sorry for the newbie eagerness;)

OK , so with this more detailed info , I can tell you without a doubt, that it is either the capacitor or fan motor or both that has failed.

Buy both to be shure. you should replace the capacitor any time you change a motor.

If you are not going to get the OEM motor(that would be best), The best "replacement" motor for a rheem unit like yours would be an Emerson "rescue" motor .they have the side taped holes to mount to the top of the unit. Plus they are ball bearing motors.

but would rather get local in Los Angeles or at least online where i can return/exchange, and i've watched vids on youtube for replacing the motor and that will be a snap. question though, is there some balancing or correct height the fan needs to be set at? if so how do i do that,

You are on your own if you want to find one locally. There is bound to be a shop that will sell to homeowners.

After you take the top of the unit off . take a photo. that is the easiest way to figure out where to put the blade. You basiclly want the blade as close to the motor as possible without it hitting the motor. sometimes that means cutting off mounting studs. Be very carefull when removing and reinstalling the blade. if you bend the thin aluminum blade you will unbalance it and the whole unit will shake.

nowchinatown

thanks, i'm on it and will report backthumbsup.gif

anyone out there has a good Los Angeles parts place pls let me know

I would look at appliance parts stores. Many appliance stores sell to the public. They will have a condenser fan motor because many appliance repair guys will try to work on anything that Wirrs , buzzes, beeps, or blows .

Good luck

Archived