Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonaldDhondt

Gibson Chest Freezer

16 posts in this topic

I have a Gibson 8.3 CF chest freezer. Model number FH08M5DXFC, serial number WB04100552.

I have had it since new 10+ years. When I touch the sides of the freezer it appears to be much hotter than I remember it being in the past.

The interior of the freezer is still cold (freezing) but I'm concerned it is on the way out. I can hear the compressor running but I also hear a surging sound about every second. Anyone have any thoughts/advice?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

If it gets very hot on the sides then we are usually talking about an over heating compressor. Slight warmth could be a condensation heater but I would guess compressor/sealed system issue. Touch your compressor, if it is really hot then that's your problem. A compressor can get too hot due to lack of ventilation, malfunctioning start/relay , malfunctioning compressor fan or sealed system failure. With your freezer your problem is either start/relay or sealed system failure. The surge sound could be compressor trying to start (start/relay), binding piston inside compressor or low refrigerant (sealed system failures). You can replace a start relay economically. If sealed system failure, then you will be the proud owner of an 8.3 cf storage cabinet.

Edited by DurhamAppliance

Thanks, the compressor is too hot to leave your hand on it so I guess it is time for a new freezer.

OR if the Condenser Coils on the back of the unit are dirty / dusty

Hot Wall Condenser - he is feeling the Condenser

Hot Wall Condenser - he is feeling the Condenser

Yeah, that's why I ruled out air flow problem for his model. With deep freezers, the question is, is it still cooling or is it just acting as an ice box. Depending on use, it could take a while to notice any change in temps. I forgot to ask if the compressor is hot and vibrating or just hot? If it is hot and vibrating and there is a decrease in temp, then just drive the freezer until the wheels come off.

Yup - We done assumed wrong.............. :toilet_claw:

I thought it was inside too. Of course, once again...pebble-snatch-miss. Reg, you been doing a lot of whistling as of late. Sad part is, I looked at the schematic earlier overlooked the condenser and still assumed. Well I can at least work on my eyesight. okay where'd i put that chart?

1297146_f260.jpg

Edited by DurhamAppliance

There are no visible condenser coils on this model so I assume they are inside the walls and perhaps that is all I am feeling. There is also no fan on the compressor so nothing to go wrong there either. Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing. Run it until it fails...

Keep an eye on it (preferrably better than Durham's or My Own) - good thing about a chest is that it takes a long time to warm up (keep lid shut), once you are aware that it has pooched - you have some reaction time. Round here stuff can be kept frozen outdoors for a good part of the year; last few weeks were hot but a nasty little wind came up today and turned a Sunny 25 degree celcius day into a brisk 7 degree celcius day ..............

... Well I can at least work on my eyesight. okay where'd i put that chart?

1297146_f260.jpg

see > RegUS_PatOff

:blink:

There are no visible condenser coils on this model so I assume they are inside the walls

... hhmmm ... could be ..most Freezers are made that way ..

Check your Door Gasket ..

the more the Freezer runs (to freeze stuff),

the more heat has to be dissipated through the Condenser Coils (in the wall)

gotta get me some of those carrots!

Thanks to all that replied. I decided to replace it. I think it was marginal even though it kept everything frozen it was always running, hence the heat from the coils. The new unit was hot until it got the temp. down and stable, now the sides and back are only slightly warm. Thanks again to all!

I decided to replace it.

A Gallant decision indeed

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0