Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washer LA5800XSNO Tub Removal

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:35 AM

Aloha,
I have a Whirlpool LA5800XSNO that looks like it is leaking from the bottom of the tub. I want to remove the basket and tub so I can see if the tub is cracked or maybe a seal? How do I remove the tub?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

Best bet is to locate leak with as little disassembly possible so that you can first verify it

On Whirlpool/Kenmore direct drive washers, the pump is down in front and you’ll need to remove the cabinet to check it out

We use the 7th and 10th law of the prophecy here : http://fixitnow.com/...pliance-repair/

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

Aloha Kdog,
Thanks for the reply and I did remove the cabinet and filled some water in the tub and it looks like the water is dripping from around the area (bottom of the tub) where the shaft goes up into the drum. I can't really see up there because of the brackets, etc. I was thinking that if I could remove the tub, I could check it out and see if there is a crack or seal that it is leaking from. Do I remove the basket, nut on shaft, and pry off the ring on top of the tub?

#4 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:26 AM

Aloha,
I removed the basket and want to know if the tub can be removed from the shaft that turns the agitator. It is leaking from the tub where there looks like a rubber seal at the bottom of the tub. Is the shaft in the tub considered as one piece and cannot be removed? Is the threaded portion on the shaft where the spanner nut is removable? I will try to post some pictures.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Tub.jpg   24.59KB   12 downloads
  • Attached File  Hole.jpg   15.26KB   10 downloads

Edited by doogdoog, 17 August 2011 - 12:27 AM.

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

Merged Threads

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

yes, you are almost there - tap the drive block from the top of the tube and then remove the 5/16 screws from the tub flanges and slide tub up

http://www.repaircli...eal/383727/3118

00882894.jpg

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:38 AM

Other items that may intersest you:

http://www.repaircli...Kit/285811/2744

00841524.jpg

http://www.repaircli...285753A/1195967

01029882.jpg

#8 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:52 AM

Aloha Kdog,
Thanks for the video Kdog, that told the whole story. I'll finish the removal of the tub and I will order the parts from your site. Oh, do you also sell the spanner wrench that was shown on the video (that is a must have)?

Edited by doogdoog, 17 August 2011 - 05:16 AM.

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:26 AM

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1021707

01249687.jpg

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

That tub seal isn't going to be of any help if there is an actual hole rusted through the support tube!!!!

If what you have pointed out in the picture just above the tub seal is an actual hole you will have to have it welded up and then smoothed out so the new tub seal can slide down past the welded spot or replace the complete super structure support assembly that includes new bearings and seals.

I really wouldn't try the route of welding the hole because if water has been inside the support tube and is running out the tube at the bottom then that means the bearings and seals have been destroyed from the water also.

A new super structure support assembly is probably going to be around $100-$150.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 17 August 2011 - 07:33 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

Aloha Willie,
Yes, that is a small hole in the tube and I didn't have time to do any work on it today so I don't know how much damage was done. I will pull the tub (hopefully tomorrow) and see how bad everything is. Do they sell that tube (what is it called?)? I just discovered that there is water sloshing around in the rim that is on top of the basket. Is that water or is it made that way? If it is water, how did it get in there and how do I remove it? Will it cause an unbalanced spin condition?

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:25 PM

http://www.repaircli.../280184/1200161

01032550.jpg

The liquid in the balance ring (sodium chloride) is supposed to be there and is normal

#13 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

Thanks Kdog, and what does the sodium chloride do? I read somewhere that somebody thought that was water in there and drilled a small hole to empty it out because he was having balance problems. Thanks for telling me or I probably would have done the same thing. LOL Thanks again.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

... and what does the sodium chloride do?

it's a liquid balance ring ..
doesn't freeze, etc ..

#15 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:42 AM

Today I removed the tub and there isn't a hole where I thought it was. It looks like the bottom part of the tube started to rust up into the seal (or from the top of the seal down) and caused the water to leak. I guess the rust puffed up under the seal, so some water passed. I posted a picture and was wondering if the seal sits flat on the housing itself or about 1/4"-3/8" above it. There seems to be a 1/16" raised surface on the tube so I included a picture.

Attached Files

#16 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:48 AM

Wow, there's a leak that didn't just start yesterday - the seal is made on the tube above the collar, in the area that is clean on the tube. You migt get away with a new seal if you clean the rust off carefully with some fine sandpaper and some acetone

#17 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:12 AM

Aloha Kdog,
It must have been seeping for quite a while until it got worse and that is when I noticed the concrete looked a little wet. I am going to clean it up to see if a new seal would work and see if any welding is required. I love this old washer because it doesn't have any high tech electronics involved and is easily repaired by a DIY person (the hard part is how to get that blasted tub out). LOL Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics