Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Arctica PSS26NSTD SS; Cooling Problems

ge arctica temperature ther

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

Please help me diagnose the problems.

I use this frige as a backup in my garage for drinks/beer. I loaded it totally full of water, gatorade, etc one day last week (including all of the door shelves and drawers) and noticed a few days later that it was cooling erratically.

The upper main shelves had cool, but not cold, drinks, while the drawers in the main frige were cold. I took all of it out and it stayed the same way. So, I took off the rear cover and cleaned the Jelly Roll coil because it was very dirty and compressor. Turned it off overnight and then plugged it back in for a full day of cooling.

This is what I got:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, from reading the board, it is possibly a damper, main board or freon problem. What do you think?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by thirdparty, 26 August 2011 - 09:39 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

How do you edit the original post? Got some typos in original.:no:

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

looks pretty good to me ....
what's the actual Fridge and Freezer temperatures ?
grasshoppers can't edit their posts

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#4 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

Those are the actual temps on the readout. It's set for 0 deg. on the freezer and 37 deg. for the frige.

The drawers in the frige seem to get cold, but the rest of the frige barely gets cool. Is this indicative of a damper problem?

Is the frost normal on the cooling elements? When I took the cover off earlier (frige was run the whole time), it didn't have all of the frost. Is it because of condensation of warm air coming from plugging and unplugging?

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

... Those are the actual temps on the readout. It's set for 0 deg. on the freezer and 37 deg. for the frige.
,,, When I took the cover off earlier (frige was run the whole time), it didn't have all of the frost.

1) what are the actual temperatures ?
2) post a close-up picture including the un-frosted area

#6 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

I will post another pic tonight. On the temps question you had to post "actual temps," is that because the motherboard might be failing and giving me false readings?

I'll try to get the actual temps, just wanted to know if that's what you were thinking. :thumbsup:

#7 AppGuy

AppGuy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

things like evap fan problems could cause this. cold air sinks..... door being to low and the light staying on could cause it. Bad thermistor is possible although the fridge seems to know the temps are off. Damper door not opening properly.....

#8 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:56 PM

Okay, here are a few more pictures. I tried to check the continuity of the heating element in the freezer, but I couldn't figure out where to put the probes on the element. Also, I noticed that the glass surrounding the element shows what looks like burn marks (kind of like a bulb has burned out). Can I pull the red and blue wires and use the probes in those attachment points?

Also, I was only able to turn the frige on for a couple of hours before taking these pics, so I'm not sure if it fully cooled off.

Is this normal? Pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Closeups requested above...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 31,383 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

The coils look like they're frosting up normally but check the continuity of the defrost heater-- that sucker is looking pretty burnt to me.

#10 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:35 PM

The coils look like they're frosting up normally but check the continuity of the defrost heater-- that sucker is looking pretty burnt to me.

Where do you stick the probes for the continuity check? Do I pull the wires out? Didn't want to pull them if it was going to screw it up. Thanks for the quick reply though.

#11 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

Okay, I've been monitoring the temps for the past few days. They have gone up and down, which is abnormal for this frige. They never got to the "0" or "37" that is recommended on the face plate, but once got to 6 and 40.

I should also note that the jelly roll coil has been completely cleaned and had an another fan blowing over it to supplement its fan to make sure it got enough air flow to cool.

Here are the actual temperatures as requested above, with a following picture of the reported temp from the frige panel (note accuracy in freezer, but the panel is off 5 deg. on frige side:

Please help!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

OK.. frost pattern looks OK...
How are the Thermistors ?
http://fixitnow.com/...ed-thermistors/

#13 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

OK.. frost pattern looks OK...
How are the Thermistors ?
http://fixitnow.com/...ed-thermistors/

Thanks RegUS. I followed the link and will check the thermistors this weekend. At your link, I followed this one as well for more info on checking the thermistors: Checking thermistors

When I got there it directed me to another topic ( topic link ) for a chart (chart.bmp) that has the spec for the resistance accross the thermistors. When I tried to download the chart here chart.bmp it gave me an error about not having rights to download. I upgraded my account and texted the number as well, but still couldn't get the chart to measure the resistance.

Samurai suggested that I post here to get me on the right page.

Thanks for your help.

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:15 AM

Posted Image

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 31,383 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Here's the chart you seek, my worthy apprentice:

Posted ImageClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

#16 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:44 AM

Okay, Sam/Reg, I measured the resistance of all four thermistors today. They are the new style with sealed bases. I measured them without any cooling at ambient temp, which was approximately 90 deg. All of them were in the range of 4.1-4.3k ohms. With cooling in ice water for 15 minutes each, they ranged from 15.11k ohms to 16.19k ohmes, with one in the lowest part of the fresh side reading a constant 4.16k ohms, cooling or no cooling. This last one was in the lowest compartment, fresh side in the fan assembly that looks like it does the "turbo" cooling.

So, this las one looks bad. Does you think it solves my other problems if replaced?

Please advise.

#17 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:02 AM

one in the lowest part of the fresh side reading a constant 4.16k ohms, cooling or no cooling.

Since it has no response to the temperature change, we must follow the 8th law of the prophecy here:

Samurai’s 8th Law of Appliance Repair: Fix the obvious problems first.

If you have an appliance that you think may have several things wrong with it, you have to break down the problem into smaller component problems and then fix each one. Usually, when you fix the obvious problem first, you find that it was the only problem all along. Other times, you cannot even diagnose the other problems until you’ve fixed the obvious one(s).

Does you think it solves my other problems if replaced?

It sure can't hurt - we get asked stuff like that all the time; what would happen if ..... what if this fails ....... Only time we relly have the answer is when things work as they'e supposed to

http://www.repaircli...55X10025/914093

00855831.jpg

#18 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

Thanks, I'll replace it and report back. Also, I assume the other 3 thermistors are doing what they are supposed to, correct? Since they're not expensive, should I go ahead and replace all or just the one?

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 31,383 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

If you going to the trouble of changing one, do 'em all at the same time. The parts, surprisingly for GE, are reasonably priced.

#20 thirdparty

thirdparty

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

Ok, I changed all 4 of the thermistors. It's been running for a few days now and SEEMS to be cooling better. On the frige side it's reading 37 deg., but actually measures 33 deg. It never could get this cool after the problems started.

On the freezer side, it reads 6 deg and measures 6 deg.

So I need some further advice: I haven't buttoned up all of the panels or put the drawers back in. Am I good to go? Do I have another problem? I'm thinking that I should be getting 0 deg on freezer side.

Thanks

Edited by thirdparty, 06 September 2011 - 10:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics