Guest jsbean17

kenmore side by side compressor

2 posts in this topic

I have a kenmore side by side, model number 59502990. I woke up to find both the fridge and freezer warm. the compressor would not run, so i checked the start relay which in turn, was bad. I rattled and black flakes came out when i shook it. So, I have a new start relay. still, when i plug in my unit, the compressor hums and then clicks off. If i leave the refrigerator plugged in the compressor gets extremely hot.( I can hear the relay clicking on and off while plugged in) I checked the compressor with an ohmeter and got between 4 and 7 ohms between all legs. I can not find my defrost timer anywhere so i can verify that it is good.. I am dazed and confused, any help would be appreciated.

106.59502990  Made by Whirlpool, assuming you bought the correct OEM replacement relay you have a bad compressor. Your defrost timer has no relevance to this problem.  If it is the correct replacement part and the compressor still hums and clicks and gets hot,  time to replace the compressor or the frig. Compressor should have a 5 year warranty.