Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fisher & Paykel Elba top load washer model#WA37T26EW2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 withanh

withanh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

Hi. I have a Fisher & Paykel Elba top load washer model#WA37T26EW2 that I purchased in May 2009 from Sears Outlet that has been perfect until today. It got stuck in the rinse cycle and seemed to keep filling but not draining. It drained some but not like it should. I re-ran it twice, first time powering it off and starting back to default start and then second time I put it on the spin cycle. It did not drain and kept stopping and beeping at me. I don't want to pay a repair man because I figure I will end up spending half of what I paid for it. Any suggestions of what might be wrong and if I can fix it myself? Thank you for any suggestions.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

The Elba model I believe is the same as a "full feature" EcoSmart, but without the Woolens and Favorite cycle choices.

Trouble with draining indicates a problem with either the pump or the diverter valve. The diverter functions to direct the pump's flow either out to the drain hose or back into the tub via a separate recirculation hose that sprays at top of the tub at the right rear. The EcoActive wash period at start of all cycles except Perm Press involves the recirculation process.

Assuming the pump does run, then the diverter bears investigation. It may be clogged with lint/debris and not able to fully shift position. Access to it is beneath the machine. A triangular-shaped device with three hoses attached and a couple wires. It should be inside a protective plastic bag.

If you wish to do some testing before attempting to remove & examine/clean the diverter ... follow these steps. This is assuming that Diagnostic Mode on the Elba model works the same as on EcoSmart.

1) With power off, press and hold Wash Temp Down, then press Power at the same time. Should get two beeps and the panel activates. Release the buttons.

2) The Regular cycle button turns the pump on or off. Press Regular to check if you hear the pump run. If you don't hear the pump run at all, then it's bad and needs replacement (easy to do). If the pump does run and there's water in the tub, it should drain being as the diverter is not activated. If there's recirculation instead ... or perhaps both drain and recirculation ... then the valve is either clogged or broken/jammed and unable to shift position.

3) It's possible for the controller board to go bad in such a way that it sends power to the diverter constantly when it shouldn't. There are a couple ways to check for that, but doesn't sound to be the case or there wouldn't be any draining at all.

If you need to replace the diverter, SearsPartsDirect.com carries the part for $30. A pump is $80.

#3 withanh

withanh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

It's been awhile, but I wanted to say thanks for your input. It was clogged with pieces of stuffing from a pillow that had fallen apart in the washer. It has been working fine for months and is now doing the same thing again. My husband and I are going to work on it again tonight, hopefully just clogged with something from the wash again. You saved me a ton of money and I appreciate it.

#4 withanh

withanh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

OK, so I need more help. To give background, the other day we had a load going and the machine alarmed with a high pitch musical scale alarm. My husband was able to get the water to mostly drain. I think he skipped to spin cycle, not completely sure what he did. Last night we took the pump out and saw a small amount of debris in it and took care of that. We also detached the black hose just below the divertor to make sure no debris was in there. We did not actually take the divertor out and look at it. We put it back together and ran just the rinse and spin and wasn't sure if it was working properly but it did spin, but it didn't remove the water. So we put a quick load of towels in. It ran fine thru the wash cycle, but when it got to the rinse cycle it beeped like the washer beeps when it is all done but it was at the rinse cycle. I tried skipping to the spin cycle and it did nothing. I just did the test where I checked for the pump by hitting the wash temp down and power button then the two beeps and then hit regular and it did nothing. So do I have a bad pump? If the pump is bad why was my husband able to get the water out the other night? Did we break the pump trying to get debris out last night, or not put it back together correctly last night? I mean all we did was pull it out and put it back in. So frustrated. This machine has really annoyed me, but I don't have money laying around to buy another washer.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

#5 withanh

withanh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Ok, so really been looking at different posts today and found how to get the binary fault code. It is reading fault code #37, pump blocked error. Still unsure what needs to be done. We checked the pump for debris and got a small amount of debris out. We checked the drain hose just below the diverter valve and it was clear. After doing this it still does not work. We did not take the divertor valve off and check it for debris. Is this our next step? I just don't want to spend $120 on new pump to find out it doesn't fix the problem. I can get a new divertor valve for pretty cheap so should I try replacing it first? I welcome all suggestions and input. Thanks!

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

is the Puimp getting voltage ?
Does it run ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 withanh

withanh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

When I put it in diagnostic mode do do the drain pump test there is a humming sound but the pump does not operate. Any ideas?

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

... a humming sound but the pump does not operate.

seems to be either a bad Pump, or it's jammed

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 delawaredrew

delawaredrew

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:22 AM

If this pump has the fan on the outside, see if you can turn it by hand. Sometimes that will allow whatever is blocking it to move back into the tub so you can at least get it to empty. The downside is that whatever was blocking it is then still in the tub. If you are lucky you can fish it out through the pump opening.

If not the spin basket comes out easily on these. I'll run you through that if needed, but if you can change a pump you probably can figure it out. Everything is pretty obvious except that there is a bolt in the center of the agitator, or maybe a big plastic wingnut.

Edited by delawaredrew, 31 January 2012 - 12:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics