Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Window a/c thermostat switch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tab a

tab a

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

My ancient Montgomery Ward 220v window unit quit working. With the thermostat switch (rotary knob--rheostat?) bypassed it seems to work ok. Can I just leave it this way, as it's always on full cold anyway?

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Yes but it will never cycle off; unless you turn off breaker etc
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

Yall can bypass all the controls however once the ac has cooled down the house then it will freeze over. I hot-wired one and made this video:

Edited by applianceman18007260692, 21 August 2011 - 09:43 PM.

"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

#4 tab a

tab a

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

There are 2 different knobs: One turns the unit on--a/c high, a/c med, fan hi, fan med, etc., and the other is the thermostat. It can be turned completely off, or turned to a progressively colder setting--the rheostat function I mentioned.

My concern was icing, but I've no way of knowing if the unit has ever gotten the room/house cold enough for the thermostat to cycle it off.

I watched the video but couldn't tell what I was supposed to be seeing?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics