Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Oven will not heat

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lurker_haveNoIdea_*

Lurker_haveNoIdea_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

This is a 20 year old oven/microwave.  The microwave quit so I was "checking" things and bridged an L1 and L2 on the mechanical "digital" clock.  Blew the house main and a few others.  The 15amp fuse was the problem on the microwave, so it works now.

However, no oven.  A repair guy found shorts in the oven selector so I replaced that.  The clock now works if the oven is turned on, but no heat still.  Am getting about 140 volts between any L1 and L2 terminals (oven selector, clock).  Oven indicator lights do not come on when I go to "bake" or "broil" mode.

I have a double breaker for the oven in a closet.  1 black wire going to each.  Should I check for 220 across those 2 wires?  If I have 220, any other components?  Thermostat for oven temp?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 dhitchco

dhitchco

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:33 PM

Holy moly!

When you shorted out your L1 and L2 at the oven, it should have ONLY tripped the branch circuit breaker in your house's main panel. Not the house main breaker; guessing its a 100 or 200 amp breaker?

My guess is that the oven branch circuit breaker did NOT trip properly and likely needs to be replaced. That "may" be why you're only getting 140V across a supposed 220v circuit

So, go to the breaker panel and trace back the wiring from the oven. Put your voltmeter on the two lugs of that 220 oven breaker and look for voltage. I'd be very surprised if it's anything different than what you measured at the oven.

*** MY REAL ADVICE is to call-in an electrician, since you shouldn't be messing around inside your house's "live" breaker panel unless you KNOW what you're doing and have someone behind you with a 2x4.....you'll know why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics