Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore chest freezer 253.16922105

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eveready service

eveready service

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:miller high life

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hi Guy's,
I don't work on refers or freezers but my friend got water in his bsmt. Sears came out & said too much to fix so I looked at it and can see the overload is trashed. The run cap is sealed so I think its OK. The thermo looks OK and isn't the compressor sealed so that the water shouldn't have bothered it. The overload is only 25.00, and I think it's worth a shot. I would appreciate any input on this repair as they can't afford a new one right now.
Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

Overload & PTC Starter .. ?
Could try Compressor test cord ..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:56 PM

Probably a start relay failure. Will the freezer run after being unplugged for a while? IF so, unplug and immediately plug it back in. If it doesn't run then something is going on with the start cycle. Could be start relay, could be compressor start windings. You can try the following before spending money on a start relay:

Water may not have gotten in the compressor but it could have caused a short across the compressor pins resulting in electrical damage to the compressor. You can test for electrical damage to the start and run windings by testing the three pins on the compressor. Your pin configuration should be one on the top and two on the bottom or reverse. The solo pin should be your common (not always, but i think true in your case). The other two should be run and start. Measure ohms from common to one of the pins, record the value and then do the same for the other. The pin that reads the highest ohms when measured with common is the start (label that reading "S") and the other is the run ("R") . Now measure readings from start pin to run pin. Record that number ("X"). You should get S+R=x. If more than .5 ohms off, then you got an electrical problem inside the compressor. Also do a continuity test from each pin to the body of the compressor to rule out a short. If your compressor fails either test then trash the fridge as being too expensive to repair. If it passes then you can try a test cord (you need to remember the location of start, run and common pins) to check for mechanical problems.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 23 August 2011 - 12:05 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics