Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

15fer

GE Profile and Supco 3-in-1 Hard Start

2 posts in this topic

I know MANY techs speak out against the use of a 3-in-1 start on refrigerators because it causes premature damage to the comressors. However, I would like an opinion on my particular issue...

i have a 6-yr old GE Profile fridge. The compressor stopped working. I tried a new relay/overload combo, still did not work. I tried a new control borad, still did not work. I finally tried a 3-in-1, the compressor started right up. From what I gathered, the compressor is bad since it won't start with the OEM parts. Giving my situation, is there anything else I should check? Would changing the run capacitor help (from what I understand, the compressor will still run without a capacitor)? There is a 3-in-1 that accomodates the run relay used in my fridge. Is it safe to conclude that if the comressor is already bad, there is no harm in using the 3-in-1 until it completely dies?

Opinions please??? The fridge cost me $2000 to purchase and the quotes I'm getting to replace the compressor is $600...

Thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Your impression is correct...when the OEM start package wont get it dun no more...ride the hardstart till the wheels fall off. And start saving...cause they will fall off! Could be tomorrow, could make it a few years...