Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile and Supco 3-in-1 Hard Start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 15fer

15fer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

I know MANY techs speak out against the use of a 3-in-1 start on refrigerators because it causes premature damage to the comressors. However, I would like an opinion on my particular issue...

i have a 6-yr old GE Profile fridge. The compressor stopped working. I tried a new relay/overload combo, still did not work. I tried a new control borad, still did not work. I finally tried a 3-in-1, the compressor started right up. From what I gathered, the compressor is bad since it won't start with the OEM parts. Giving my situation, is there anything else I should check? Would changing the run capacitor help (from what I understand, the compressor will still run without a capacitor)? There is a 3-in-1 that accomodates the run relay used in my fridge. Is it safe to conclude that if the comressor is already bad, there is no harm in using the 3-in-1 until it completely dies?

Opinions please??? The fridge cost me $2000 to purchase and the quotes I'm getting to replace the compressor is $600...

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Your impression is correct...when the OEM start package wont get it dun no more...ride the hardstart till the wheels fall off. And start saving...cause they will fall off! Could be tomorrow, could make it a few years...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics