Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

barbie7034

GE dishwasher -

10 posts in this topic

2 year old GE dishwasher -

noticed a burning smell - hard to describe - reminded me of  novocaine or canker sore medicine smell...

unit wont drain - but doesnt overflow. Unit runs but no matter what position the knob is turned to seems just to be a rinse cycle - no heavy wash.  What could it be?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Hello, my cankerous friend.  The fine Master Appliantologists here at the Mecca of appliance repair help will need the model number of your dishwasher in order to help you effectively.

The no-drain condition might be a clogged check valve assembly located under the rear filter.  See the attachment.

Don't know about das schmeel.  Might just be groty water.  Does it schmeel electrical or biological?

GE_dw_pumpout.pdf

ok thanks

oh the smell was definitely electrical -

without a doubt..... like burning wires or something - strong smell like if i "belt" went on an appliance....

It sounds like the drain solenoid burnt up on you, Unplug dishwasher take four screws off lower panel looking under to the left on the front side of the pump and motor assembly you should see the drain solenoid see if it moves with a down motion and pops up again if not you need one. also if it looks melted Dishwasher drain solenoid kit Item # 271344 Price $31.50 http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=271344

00055693.jpg

What do suppose is smoking those drain soleniods mopar?  I know of at least one where a stalling timer caused it.

I think along with the timers you mentioned that water leaking out the Oring during pump-out while solenoid is energised might have something to do with it.

This question is not only for Mopar, other techs feel free to answer this one. 

Suppose you get another one of those really toasted drain solenoids.  It's not leaking.  Do you put in a timer too to CYA or just the solenoid and wait and see what happens?  (You know that timer will never stall with you watching it)

Depends on why the valve toasted. Internal leak onto the copper winding or the timer sticking. I'd look for signs of leaking around the valve and, if none found, I'd tell the customer that I should replace the timer, too. If they only wanted me to do the valve, I'd do it, but without any warranty (I normally gurantee my repairs for one year, parts and labor).