Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE dishwasher -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 barbie7034

barbie7034

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:13 AM

2 year old GE dishwasher -

noticed a burning smell - hard to describe - reminded me of  novocaine or canker sore medicine smell...

unit wont drain - but doesnt overflow. Unit runs but no matter what position the knob is turned to seems just to be a rinse cycle - no heavy wash.  What could it be?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:29 AM

Hello, my cankerous friend.  The fine Master Appliantologists here at the Mecca of appliance repair help will need the model number of your dishwasher in order to help you effectively.

Allahu Akbar!

#3 barbie7034

barbie7034

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:48 AM

its GSD2000G00WW

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:03 PM

The no-drain condition might be a clogged check valve assembly located under the rear filter.  See the attachment.

Don't know about das schmeel.  Might just be groty water.  Does it schmeel electrical or biological?

Attached Files

#5 barbie7034

barbie7034

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:10 PM

ok thanks

oh the smell was definitely electrical -

without a doubt..... like burning wires or something - strong smell like if i "belt" went on an appliance....

#6 mopar X

mopar X

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:27 PM

It sounds like the drain solenoid burnt up on you, Unplug dishwasher take four screws off lower panel looking under to the left on the front side of the pump and motor assembly you should see the drain solenoid see if it moves with a down motion and pops up again if not you need one. also if it looks melted Dishwasher drain solenoid kit Item # 271344 Price $31.50 http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=271344

Posted Image

#7 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:22 PM

What do suppose is smoking those drain soleniods mopar?  I know of at least one where a stalling timer caused it.

#8 mopar X

mopar X

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:48 PM

I think along with the timers you mentioned that water leaking out the Oring during pump-out while solenoid is energised might have something to do with it.

#9 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:45 PM

This question is not only for Mopar, other techs feel free to answer this one. 

Suppose you get another one of those really toasted drain solenoids.  It's not leaking.  Do you put in a timer too to CYA or just the solenoid and wait and see what happens?  (You know that timer will never stall with you watching it)

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:58 PM

Depends on why the valve toasted. Internal leak onto the copper winding or the timer sticking. I'd look for signs of leaking around the valve and, if none found, I'd tell the customer that I should replace the timer, too. If they only wanted me to do the valve, I'd do it, but without any warranty (I normally gurantee my repairs for one year, parts and labor).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics