Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire vs. Whirlpool?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paqman

paqman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

We are looking to buy an upright freezer, and with the features and price range we are looking at, we have narrowed it down to three choices. Two of which are Frigidaire, and one is Whirlpool. The two Frigidaire models are FFU21F5HW (frost free, 21cf), and LFFH21F7HW (Lowes exclusive, frost free 20.5cf). The whirlpool model is the EV201NZTQ. Interestingly enough, this one shows up as 17 cf on some sites, and 20cf on others. I think that's a typo.

Anyway, you don't have to comment on the individual models if you don't want, I guess we're more curious about your opinions between the two brands. We're mostly worried about reliability and longevity. We plan on buying an extended warranty, but we are hoping to find one that will last much longer than 5 years.

Any advice you might offer would be appreciated, thanks!

I hope this doesn't spur any Ford/Chevy type flame wars here. :-)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

If you were a subscriber to my award-winning newsletter, Appliantology, you'd know the answer to that! This was the topic in a recent issue:

Appliantology Newsletter, June 2011: Samurai’s Appliance Brand Recommendations

#3 paqman

paqman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

If you were a subscriber to my award-winning newsletter, Appliantology, you'd know the answer to that! This was the topic in a recent issue:

Appliantology Newsletter, June 2011: Samurai’s Appliance Brand Recommendations

Lol, well now that I know about it maybe I will subscribe! Thanks that was a great article. Unfortunately, you've given us buyer's remorse for the Samsung refrigerator we just bought last month. Oh well, that's already a done deal, can't do anything about that now.

But as far as my original question, your article tends to favor Whirlpool in the refrigerator department, but Frigidaire was also in your "Recommended" section. So to me, they're still on about equal footing. You did mention excessive compressor failure in the Frigidaire refrigerators, and I have read about the same problem in the Freezers. We are going to probably get an extended 5 year warranty for that reason (at only $60, that's a good deal for something that's almost guaranteed to happen in the first five years). But the fact that you didn't mention any faults with the Whirlpool refrigerators or freezers has me kind of leaning that way.

Either way, repairability and parts availability sound about the same on both. So While we're leaning towards the Whirlpool, there is a killer deal on one of the Frigidaires right now, so I'm still on the fence.

Thanks again for pointing me to the great article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics