Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Magic Chef 3868XVW Oven Tripping Circuit Breaker

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

What could cause an intermittent circuit breaker tripping problem by a 15 year old Magic Chef 3868XVW oven? The bake element gets hot, but there is a problem with the unit periodically tripping a 50 amp 220V breaker. The broil element works fine by itself.

I pulled the bake element out and checked its DC resistance at 21 ohms with my multimeter. This seems about right to me, is it?

The only thing I can figure is that the bake element may periodically short out (0-1 ohms or so) during heating cycles, causing the circuit breaker to trip. There are no bubbles on the bake element and the DC resistance does not change when I slightly bend the detached element when I am measuring the element.

MagicChef does not have any service info or schematics on this model, can someone provide one to me??
Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the intermittent circuit overloading problem?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

the Element wouldn't short out by itself,
unless it's touching the chassis (ground) at times ..
Does this happen when only when Baking and / or when Broiling ?
It may be a defective house Circuit Breaker

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

It only happens when baking, that's why I don't suspect the circuit breaker is the problem. The broiler works fine by itself, as I stated. The element didn't seem to be shorting out to the oven chassis (no burn marks; clearance at the the two through holes looks fine). Thanks for the fast response! Any other ideas?

I am about to test the removed bake element by itself on a separate 120V circuit and then on a 220V circuit. I also have a high current AC ammeter someplace. I just have to find where I stashed it.

I would think that the broiler element and the bake element share the same controller inside the oven, but perhaps there are some relays involved which are causing the problem. Magic Chef was a pretty low end mfr of ovens/ranges, so I Imagine that the design is as simple as it gets.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

the Element wouldn't draw more current than designed ..(It's resistance can't decrease)..
The Broil Element may normally draw less wattage than the Bake Element.
The Circuit Breaker may still be weak.

#5 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

I'll hope for a bad circuit breaker, as the only other culprit is probably the solid state clock/controller, which is a pricey part. If it's not the circuit breaker, it will probably be new oven time. Thanks for your suggestions.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

I'll hope for a bad circuit breaker, as the only other culprit is probably the solid state clock/controller,

the Controller can't send it more current ...

#7 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

the Controller can't send it more current ...

What about an intermittent internal short in the solid state controller or in the relay that feeds the bake element? I think there are two separate solid state controller circuits (one for broiler; one for baking), but I am speculating in the blind since I have no schematic. I will be trying a replacement 50 amp breaker shortly and will report back to you. Thanks for the rapid fire responses.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

What about an intermittent internal short in the solid state controller or in the relay that feeds the bake element?

not likely, it would then probably blow the Relay for good and / or some wiring

#9 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

not likely, it would then probably blow the Relay for good and / or some wiring

RegUS,

You are the Master! Thanks for your sage advice and quick responses.

It was a weak dual pole 220V circuit breaker. I guess the breaker's overload trip point reduced itself to something below what the 21 Ohm bake element needed for current flow, even though it flowed enough current for the broiler element to work properly. A new circuit breaker cured the problem. I'm glad I don't have to purchase a new range.

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

RegUS, You are the Master!
It was a weak dual pole 220V circuit breaker.

:whistling:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics