Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

hmm

Whirlpool Estate taws800jq0 only works on spin cycle

9 posts in this topic

Please help! A friend's 11 year old Whirlpool Estate washer will only function in the "spin" cycles. Previously, the machine worked fine and when a new load was tried...nothing but spin. We have checked the water flow and the filter screens which are all fine. There is power and the lid switch was recently replaced and again, it will function in spin.

I checked the water level switch tube for clogging and could not find any. I also tested that switch for resistance and got a reading of zero ohms.

I next checked the inlet valve for resistance and got a reading of 1,150 plus ohms (some slight fluctuation but 1,150 minimum). This seems to be outside the acceptable spec. Would this cause all of the other functions to cease? If so, is there a way to "trick" the washer into thinking it is full of water to verify that the other functions will work so that I can make sure it is not the water level switch or the timer? Where do I go from here?

Help! The laundry is getting mountainous!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... I checked the water level switch tube for clogging and could not find any. I also tested that switch for resistance and got a reading of zero ohms.

Should be 0 ohms across Violet to Tan when the Washer is full.

Does the Washer Motor make any noise during Agitate ?

I tested across violet to tan but the instructions I had stated to do this with the washer empty. The washer was empty because it had gone through all of it's cycles on the previous use. The washer does nothing and makes no noise except on spin. No buzzing or humming or any other perceptible noises. On spin, the drum seems to rotate fine.

Should be 0 ohms across Violet to Tan when the Washer is full.

Should be 0 ohms across Violet to Pink when the Washer is empty

I tested across violet to tan AND violet to pink but with the washer empty for both. I seemed to get zero ohms both ways empty. What would that mean?

that would mean it's bad, although it should then Agitate OK...

(if you're using your OHM meter correctly)

Would it agitate if the switch were bad? I was under the impression that the agitation only started when the switch sensed that the tub was full of water. Is there a way to bypass or trick the switch into sensing a full tub of water?

Thanks for your help!

It will only Agitate when the Switch contacts Violet & Tan are connected = 0 OHMs

Part link ==> Pressure Switch