Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung Frenchie Fridge RFG238AARS/XAA Frozen Evap

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grindMARC

grindMARC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homebrew

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

We've had this fridge for 2 years (this week). About a week ago I noticed that the fridge temp was up in the 50s. The fan inside the fridge was was making a clicking sound for about a day or two and then the noise stopped the morning before the guy came to repair it.

We got an extended warranty, so I called Lowes.They sent out a local repair guy. Unfortunately, I wasn't home when he came by so I didn't get to talk to him directly. My wife said that he took the cover off the evaporator unit and it was full of ice -- top to bottom. The ice was so bad, the fan blades were hitting it. He used a hairdryer on it and said it would be good for a little while until it froze back up again. He left a work invoice that said... wait for it... "NEEDS PARTS." He told my wife that it needed a "temperature sensor." About 4 days later I got a call from Lowes. Lowes said that the "evaporator assembly" that my fridge needed was "not available." They are sending me a check for $2300 and suggested I go find a new fridge. HA!

I'm not ready to toss this thing in a landfill just yet. I took the cover off and tested the thermistor. It reads 12.48 in ice water and just under 5 ohms at room temp (85F). The resistance of the heater was 109 ohms and the thermo fuse came in at .01. These seems within range for everything I've read about this type of issue with Samsungs.

Some other important bits: I can feel the compressor come on when I put it in force cool mode. There is no error code on the display when I power cycle it.

I'd love to get this thing diagnosed in the next day given that there are 20-30% sales going on this weekend on new fridges! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Marc

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 grindMARC

grindMARC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

Some new information on the situation. The fridge display indicates that its 46F inside the fridge. But the analog thermometer that I placed in there has it at 38F. I wonder if there is a temp sensor that is fooling the fridge into running all the time and creating more of an ice build up than the defroster can handle.

Still waiting on the service manual. Hint, hint!

#3 grindMARC

grindMARC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

On 2nd thought, it looks like the analog thermometer I used was not within spec for cold temps. I use it to make beer and its spot on for hot temps. Now I learn that its about 5 degrees off on the lower end of the scale.

The current interior temp of the fridge is about 40F (reported on the display and via infrared thermometer) and it seems to be holding fine.

Is it possible that the matt of cat hair on the condenser cover caused the evaporator to freeze up and now its operating fine?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,450 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

I PMed you the service manual.

If the evaporator coil was encased in ICE, then you need to do a modification to heat the condensate drain a la this post ==> http://appliantology...keeps-icing-up/

If, OTOH, the evaporator was encased in FROST, then you have a defrost system failure, either the defrost heater or the bimetal.

Personally, I'd take the buy out offer and get a Whirlpool-built fridge. Read why: Appliantology Newsletter, June 2011: Samurai’s Appliance Brand Recommendations

#5 grindMARC

grindMARC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

I had your newsletter of recommended brands with me last night when I went shopping for a new fridge! Hopefully, I won't need to pull the trigger on a new one just yet though! Thanks for the manual and the lead on a fix!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics