Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool LA5800XS won't wash but will empty and spin in rinse cycle

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 garajmahalic

garajmahalic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

hello,

was doing some laundry today when i noticed the cold water wasn't going into the washer (just hot). i messed with the switch a bit and got that part working. put the cabinet back together and went to do a load but nothing happened. if i put the timer in the 'spin / rinse' cycle it will work but if i put it in any of the 'wash' cycles i get nothing.

any ideas?

thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

Does it now Fill with water ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 garajmahalic

garajmahalic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

if the timer is in any of the "wash" cycles then no water will go in. basically nothing happens at all. if i move the timer into the "rinse / spin" cycle then it will start putting water in to do the rinse. so it only seems to want to work when it is in a cycle other than "wash".

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Has this Washer worked OK up till now at this location ?
While in the Wash cycle, have you tried different Wash temperature settings (cold wash) ?
While in Rinse, is it cold Water or hot Water entering ?

#5 garajmahalic

garajmahalic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

the washer has been in the same location for 5 years now. it has worked great up to this point.

i was doing laundry over the weekend. i did two loads and went to do the third. i was putting some hot water into the washer to i could let some whites soak, then i hit the switch to have it put just warm water in. when i did that it didn't change, only hot water was going in. i tried hitting the switch more and nothing changed, only hot water was working, therefore i figured it was the water valve but when i switched out the leads going to the valve i got cold water and not hot. digging around online i saw where i should be getting 120 volts going to the hot and cold valves. i was getting 120 volts at the hot but only around 2 volts at the cold. this led me to assume it was the switch that had went bad (which made since, beings as it was working fine until i went from 'hot' to 'warm'). i took the switch out and found where i could buy one online. since i figured i was going to have to replace the switch i decided to take the old one apart to see if i could find what had went wrong.

i took the switch apart but it all looked good inside. when i hit the different buttons on the switch it did what it was supposed to do on the inside. i then put the switch back together and put it back into the washer. i put the timer on 'wash' and turned it on. water started going into the tub like it is supposed to. i was happy that i had fixed it.

i went ahead and put the cabinet back together and went to do my last load of laundry. i usually start the water first so i can begin to dissolve the detergent before i put in the clothes. i turned it on but nothing happened. at first i thought i just hadn't plugged it back into the power outlet but i saw that i had. i then thought i may have tripped the breaker but i hadn't. when i tried the different wash types (normal, delicate, etc) it still was the same thing, nothing happened. i thought the whole washer was dead. but then i moved the timer to the rinse cycle of the normal wash and it started putting water in. i stopped it quickly and put the timer back to the wash cycle but still got nothing. i didn't think to see if it was hot, warm or cold water going in.

so something is keeping it from working in the 'wash' cycle but it works fine in the rinse cycle. this goes for all the different types (normal, delicate, etc). it works in 'rinse' but not in 'wash'. i don't know what to try next.

thanks for the help!

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=1172

00631662.jpg

#7 garajmahalic

garajmahalic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:46 PM

so you are saying the timer? i figured as much but didn't want to jump to any conclusions.

just to be sure, what i described is something a bad timer would cause? this washer is 15 years old at least and maybe even closer to 20 (we got it from my in-laws) so if i need to spend money i want to make sure it is in the right places, although i would rather not have to buy a new one.

i saw some used timers online for like $35, as compared to around $100 new. what would you suggest? should i replace the water temp switch too? since i did take it apart.

i really appreciate the help. thanks again!

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,671 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

Well, as far as the washer goes, this is one of the hardiest, easiest to work top loading washers ever made. And they're not making this design anymore. They're still making parts and will be for a long time because there are so many out there.

As far as we're able to tell troubleshooting your washer based only on what you're telling us, it's reasonable to conclude that the timer is bad. There's a chance that it may not be. But no biggie: if it doesn't fix it, return it for a refund, even if you've installed it!

Part link ==> Timer

#9 garajmahalic

garajmahalic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

sounds good. thanks again for the help.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,671 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

You betcha! Let us know how it turns out. The Borg wants to know! :borgsmile:

#11 garajmahalic

garajmahalic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

hello. i have an update for you.

i pulled out my timer and looked it over. i noticed that some of the points were fried so i figured that was my problem. unfortunately for me i tried to go the cheap way and bought a used timer to replace it. i installed the new (used) but it didn't work. i still can get the washer to work in rinse or spin but it won't wash. does this make you think it is something other than the timer or just that the used timer isn't good either? should i go ahead and get a new (new) timer and give it a try? or is there something else you can think of?

oh yeah, and if i do get this thing to work do you think i should go ahead and replace the water temp switch too? could a bad water temp switch keep it from working at all or would it just keep the water from going in?

thanks again!

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

... hard to follow the symptoms, but you may or may not have two problems ...
The Washer won't Agitate until it's full (Water Level Sensor satisfied)
It will Spin with any amount, or no water.

#13 garajmahalic

garajmahalic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:26 AM

gotcha. but if the water temp switch is bad then would it put water in for the rinse cycle but not for the wash cycle? i can get the water to work in for the rinse cycle but all i get is cold, not warm or hot. in any wash cycle i get nothing.

would you agree that fried points in the timer mean it is fried? i say 'points' for a lack of a better term. they sort of remind me of the points in the distributer of my vw.

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

... if the water temp switch is bad then would it put water in for the rinse cycle but not for the wash cycle?
... would you agree that fried points in the timer mean it is fried?

1) yes, it could
2) "points" is correct ... depends how bad they are

similar wiring diagram
Wiring Sheet - 3351745.pdf

#15 garajmahalic

garajmahalic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

ok so here's what i decided to do. i ordered a new water temp switch. when i get it i will install it with my old timer to see what happens. i can always fall back on the used timer i bought or i guess i could put the points from the used timer into my timer (the one with the fried points) if i need to. will let you know what happens.

thanks again for all the help

#16 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

Timer and Temp Switch could be tested if you have a meter.. ..

#17 garajmahalic

garajmahalic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

alright we can put this tread to rest and mark it off as fixed!

i installed the new water temp switch, switched out the points from the used timer i bought with my original timer points and put it all back together. and it is working perfectly!

thanks to all here for their troubleshooting help. i learned A LOT about my washer during this mini-ordeal and i couldn't have done it without you.

hopefully i won't be back on this forum for a while but i will be telling people about it for sure.

thanks again!

#18 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

:pint1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics