Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Loud electrical hum, dryer fails to start: Kenmore 110.97590110

kenmore dryer hum electrical

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 westie314

westie314

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:New Holland Black Tulip

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

Greetings,

I have a ~ 18 year-old Kenmore dryer (110.97590110) with multiple organ failure. I have a couple of questions for forum members:

1) Is it worth saving?
2) If so, what strategy would you recommend?

Symptoms:

Failure has been progressive over the past 5 years or so. Here are the failures, in order of appearance:

1) Wrinkle Guard / touchup function ceased working...irritating, but I can live with it!
2) Buzzer at end of cycle. At this point my wife was pretty irritated since the freshly dried clothes would likely sit and wrinkle without further notice from the dryer.
3) Heat control. I have no evidence (i.e. measurements) but it certainly seems that the clothes come out well done, even when the fabric selector is on "delicate".
4) Electrical hum / dryer fails to start. The last, perhaps fatal, failure occurred today, when the dryer emitted only a fairly loud electrical hum upon depressing the "start" button. After several seconds the hum ceased and the dryer was quiet. I can spin the drum by hand with moderate effort, clockwise only.

So that's where we are. If necessary, I can start separate threads for each of these items, but obviously the most important item right now is number 4...I'm not going to bother fixing anything else until the drum rotates again! If it is possible to comment on the other items as well, that would be most appreciated.

I have recently cleaned the vent. Venting distance is about 12 feet, with several 90-degree bends; the folks who built our house apparently didn't think about where the appliances would go until after the walls were in place!

Thanks again,

- Steve

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

You most likely need a new motor to fix problem #4. if your sure the belt and pulley aren't binding. With all the other problems it's probably time to let it go peacefully. :boohoo:On top of the 4 issues you have, the 18 year old dryer should have the belt, pulley and rollers replaced also. Mo money. http://www.repaircli...er=110.97590110. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Edited by SANTA, 04 September 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#3 westie314

westie314

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:New Holland Black Tulip

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:29 PM

Thanks SANTA! Boohoo indeed!

#4 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

Thats funny. The "boohoo" in my post was supposed to be an emoticon. :boohoo:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics