Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KITCHEN AID KDC-21A OR-61A SECOND SOAP DOOR PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sparks325

sparks325

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

Hello All and greetings to the Grand Master,
In an effort to keep my Kitchen Aid going another few years I followed the advice on this forum and purchased the enzyme based dishwasher product listed elsewhere in the forum.
I live in an area where the water could be considered “hard” so I used two scoops as per the instructions on the dishwashing detergent. The problem I’m having is that there is a clump of detergent in the second door after the cycle is done. The dishes seem to be clean enough. Any suggestions ????

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

Make sure some of the dishes are not in the immediate vicinity of the soap door and preventing it from swinging fully open

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

Also, check the water fill level in the basin after the machine fills and the when the spraying starts. Should just come up to the heating element. If not, the pump will not develop sufficient pressure at the spray arms and the water will just come out in rhythmic, dribbly spurts. Result: detergent never gets scoured from the cup.

#4 sparks325

sparks325

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

Thanks!
I'll check that tonight and report back.

#5 sparks325

sparks325

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

Sorry for the delay,
My repair job during the day has required more than 8 hours the past few days now, and I haven't been able to keep up with everything.
I checked the fill level and it doesn't quite come up to the heating element. Side note here. the machine is a portable and after installing the new floor in the kitchen we decided to use those "magic sliders" to minimize the possibility of damaging the floor.
Well, a small stone got caught in the slider and the floor was scratched. My better half came up with the idea of extending the hoses and not moving the machine at all. I had access to some aerospace type (read really good) couplings and made a fine hose extension pair. I realized that with the extra length the machine wasn't emptying fully. I went with a larger diameter drain hose to compensate and that seems to be ok. Is it possible that the machine isn't getting enough water on the fill cycle? does the machine use time as a measure for the fill cycle or does it have a float to tell it if it has enough water. I know I'm venturing into unknown territory here, but I've always been one of those guys.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,534 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

I checked the fill level and it doesn't quite come up to the heating element.

How far below the heating element?

#7 sparks325

sparks325

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:22 AM

Grand Master,
The machine is not completely level (being portable and all, hmm I never checked if the wheels allow for adjustment)
I'd say the water level is below 1/8th inch at the rear of the element to 1/4 inch at the front of the element.
Thank You for your quick response!

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,534 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

Let's test Master kdog's theory:

Make sure some of the dishes are not in the immediate vicinity of the soap door and preventing it from swinging fully open

Run a load with detergent but no dishes and see if the detergent cup gets scoured clean.

#9 sparks325

sparks325

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

will do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics