Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Asko W600 Knob Advances to 'S'

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ravenmortal

ravenmortal

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:24 PM

Please Help!
My old faithful washer and dryer have just arrived with me at my new home in Africa, but the washer does not seem to have survived unscathed!

After installation today, I put a load in to test, and the machine agitates for about 20 seconds, then the wash cycle knob simply advances to 'S'(= Service Call?), skipping all the cycles! I have cleaned out the drain pump, it did not seem to help. Asko is not a known brand here, so a service tech is not an option. I will have to troubleshoot with your expert advice, and purchase parts from the US.

Please help me fix my washer problems and could you send me the service manual?!! TIA.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

Check the motor brushes. Unscrew the holsters from the motor and unclip the graphite rods to check their length and for cracks.

#3 ravenmortal

ravenmortal

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:48 AM

Domo Arigato, Sensei!
I have ordered the parts, will probably take another 2 weeks to get here. I will update then. Based on similar problems in the archives, I have also ordered a new belt. Yes the machine agitates, so the belt is not broken, but seems wise to change now due to the age of the set. Yes?

Would it be possible to get a copy of a service manual? I'm really flying blind here, and my 'service tech' is just as clueless, sadly.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:46 AM

May needed to have the Shipping Supports re-installed before the move ...

Asko W600 Use & Care.pdf
8061751 WM33_44-04.pdf
8061755 FUN WM33_44.pdf
W600-Series Service Manual.pdf
links PM'd

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 ravenmortal

ravenmortal

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:22 AM

Re shipping supports - I am paying dearly for my stupidity!

Thank you soooo very much for the literature. I bow down to your kindness and superior knowledge!

#6 ravenmortal

ravenmortal

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

Hello Samurai and RegUS!
So the parts arrived, took another 2 weeks to find a technician brave enough to attempt, he finally came here today, followed your instructions, used the service manual you so kindly posted, turned it on and tested a cycle. For about 3 minutes I thought everything was kosher. Then the all the water drains from the washer, and the knob again goes right through to "S".

I thought perhaps it was because the washer was empty, so I popped in some clothes, tried again. Big mistake! Rocked like a puny boat in high seas until suddenly the door popped open, spilling water everywhere! We shut the door, tried again, it rocked and agitated violently and then popped open again!

The poor technician works only on LG products, and had no clue what to do. Please HELP! Any suggestions?

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

So the parts arrived,

what parts ?

#8 ravenmortal

ravenmortal

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

2 new motor brushes, and drive belt.

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:46 PM

Re shipping supports - I am paying dearly for my stupidity!

shipping the Washer without the Shipping Bolts mounted didn't cause any damage to the Drum, Shocks. or Bearings ?

#10 ravenmortal

ravenmortal

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Sadly, I am back with same Asko W600 issues.
So I started off last year with only 3-4 agitations, then washer would drain water out and knob would spin right around to "S". Based on suggestions, I replaced the motor brushes. Then the machine started a violent vibration that would pop the door open, spilling water everywhere! Again, I ordered shocks (4 months to arrive in Africa), and we installed the complete set yesterday.

Current State:
No more violent agitations! Woohoooooo!
However, we seem to be back to the original problem - wash cycles 1,2,3,4 seem to wash for a few minutes, then water drains out and the knob cycles to "S" again. I tried the rinse cycle 8, it seemed to complete the rinse cycle, filling up with water 3 times, but then it drains water, and when it comes to spin time, knob cycles all the way to "S"! On all occasions, it would seem to spin for about 3 seconds, before it would abruptly stop and cycle to "S".

Any ideas, please, please???
I am on the brink of giving up on my cherished ASKO and caving in to buy a a brand spanking new LG all-in-one. The thought gives me shivers (I REALLY love my asko) , but in Africa here, there are not too many brand options.

HELP!

#11 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

"S" indicates a mechanical fault. does the drum turn freely by hand ? motor turn freely?
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#12 ravenmortal

ravenmortal

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yes, drum turns freely by hand. Also, we've checked the belt, nicely fitted, looks really good for its age.
One thing I forgot to mention - when the water drains out, and the machine refuses to spin, I hear a periodic clicking noise coming from the water pump area. Like a steady click, click, click, perhaps every 5 -15 seconds. Does that tell us something?
I have cleaned out the filter and drained out water, no joy.

#13 ravenmortal

ravenmortal

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

BTW, Sensei Grand Master Funk, thanks for responding on a Sunday!

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

Okay, so you've already replaced the motor brushes, drum turns freely, so it's new motor time ==> http://www.repaircli...odelNumber=W600

#15 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Just a reminder to everyone replying since you may not have re-read the entire post:

She is writing from AFRICA, so it might be worthwhile to give a test or two that can be performed. If she were in the States, it would be an easy option to try a part and see if it works, not that any of you are ones to advocate the "parts-changing-monkey" approach. Since she is paying for shipping to Africa, and waiting months for the part, it would pay to be sure.

Has she tried spinning the motor by hand? Is there a bench test that can be done on it?

Ravenmortal,
What does your technician charge you for a service call out there? Is it expensive or cheap?

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

She is writing from AFRICA, so it might be worthwhile to give a test or two that can be performed. If she were in the States, it would be an easy option to try a part and see if it works, not that any of you are ones to advocate the "parts-changing-monkey" approach. Since she is paying for shipping to Africa, and waiting months for the part, it would pay to be sure.

Since the drum turns freely and the motor brushes have been replaced, that only leaves the motor itself as the problem. She can measure the resistance on the motor windings but without a megger to test for leakage from windings to ground, this is usually an inconclusive test.

BTW, troubleshooting by process of elimination is called deductive reasoning and in no way resembles the parts changing monkey method.

#17 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

BTW, troubleshooting by process of elimination is called deductive reasoning and in no way resembles the parts changing monkey method.

. I didn't even mean to suggest that you were using the parts-changing-monkey method. I was just wishing to insure that she didn't lose another 2 months and $100 in shipping. That's why I asked what a service call costs there. If it is $10 —and who knows it might be— then she is better off to have it tested. Also, she doesn't need a service call to do that. She could bring the motor into a shop and drop it on a counter and have them test it.

. Then again she could ask this guy in Cape Town where where he gets his parts (and service) so she isn't shipping from the USA:
Attached File  Screen shot 2012-04-23 at 10.18.06 PM.png   57.5KB   2 downloads
click image above to see advertisement for Asko Dishwasher

She might also try Water Efficiency South Africa:
http://www.waterefficiencysa.co.za/
which recommends the Asko here:
http://www.watereffi...ortChapter2.pdf

These guys seem to only do industrial, but might have some leads:
http://www.rrservice...a/contactus.htm

Edited by Tim M, 23 April 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#18 ravenmortal

ravenmortal

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions, you are so kind!

UPDATE:
So we ordered a new motor from repairclinic.com and timer circuit board from ebay (for good measure), they arrived and were installed yesterday following the service manual. With great hope we turned it on for a test run and the Asko agitated about 5 turns clockwise and counter clockwise. Suddenly, it stopped again and the knob circled all the way back to "S". The same problem!!! I noticed 3 things -

1. The machine rides a bit rough when it in the clockwise spin - causing the machine to vibrate a bit more than on the counter clockwise turn.
2. When the knob circles back to "S", there is a click, click noise from the water pump / drain area
3. After circling back to "S", the door refuses to open. Usually I have to use the emergency release.

Have I succumbed to the parts-changing-monkey approach? Perhaps, so, but in reality that is my only option here:
Now we have changed the motor brushes, the shocks, the motor and the timer! All in, I could have sprung for a brand new Asko machine! Not so easy though - I am in Africa (West Africa, actually Tim M.), and that usually should not be a problem but Asko is not a commonly used brand here! Infact, Asko is not at all used ;o). A few people have Miele's, and a Miele store is set to open in Lagos in July / August, but Samsung and LG are the most commonly used washing machines. They are tropicalized, properly 230 - 240 volts, and are not so sensitive to low water pressure, bad / hard water etc. Also, I cannot easily buy a new Asko from the UK or USA because shipping charges would be crippling.

The initial repair man was from LG, and he was able to change the motor brushes thanks only to the manual, The gentleman I am currently using is a family friend who is a British trained electrical engineer, not at all a repair technician! Nonetheless, the average "repair" call has been N5000 ($31). There is no "shop" to take any parts in to for testing. The electrical engineer has a predilection for fixing broken parts, and wants to have a go, but without a good idea of what the problem is, I am afraid we are shooting in the dark. In the meantime, my dirty laundry piles up ;o)

So, my wonderfully helpful Sensei's, any ideas? Should I just break down and buy a BEKO (Turkish brand) machine? At least they have a repair facility here.

#19 ravenmortal

ravenmortal

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

BTW -
1. the machine does spin freely by hand in both directions.
2. Machine is also balanced quite well on the floor.
3. Water pressure is an issue though. I tried adding an additional gallon of water, and it spun a few more times, but eventually circled back to "S" again.

Thanks!!

#20 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

. Wow. I wish I had something to offer you. Since Reg_US and Samurai know mountains more than me, I can't really tell you much that is useful, though I will continue to dig around for you. Those two are full time appliance techs, with years of experience and training under their belts. I'm self-taught, with a lot of support from these forums, and I do lots of other kinds of repair work, too.

. I hope you didn't order the parts from the United States again and have them shipped all the way to Africa, only to find out that the diagnosis wasn't correct, though I'm sure it was the best that was able given no one here could actually put their hands on your machine.

. Did you contact any of the people who owned Asko machines from the links I gave you to get advice. Here is another one:
http://soweto.olx.co...r-iid-370578288
maybe he or she has a good service technician.

. What country are you in Africa?

. What is the Voltage there? I assume in is 220 Volts and 50 Hertz. Is that right?

. So your washer is getting its power by plugging into the dryer, right? You aren't plugging it into something else?

Thanks,
Tim

Edited by Tim M, 11 May 2012 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics