Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
westie314

New gas dryer: LG or Whirlpool

2 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

In an earlier post, I was given the advice to let my poor, 18-year old Kenmore dryer die a peaceful death.

Needless to say, I'd like to replace this unit quickly lest my better half get ornery. I've read the Samurai's June(?) newsletter article regarding brands, recommendations by appliance, etc. The Samurai seems OK with LG, and Consumer Reports especially seems to like the LG dryers.

However, in my area (Madison, WI), there seem to be only big box stores from which to purchase an LG dryer. Repair options (i.e. service providers) seem rare around here. On the other hand, in another forum post I found the link to LG's technical information pages, including copies of service manuals(!). Repairclinic.com seems to have an abundant supply of LG dryer parts, and I'm OK with digging around inside the unit once off warranty.

Several similar Whirlpool models (WGD9550WW, for example) *are* supported and sold by local (mom-and-pop, non-big-box) stores in the area, and from the information I was given locally, this model seems to have actually been made (assembled?) in the US(!), specifically Ohio.

I like the Whirlpool model listed above, and would much rather buy American where possible. The Whirlpool seems like a slam-dunk. Is there any good reason reason to prefer the LG over the Whirlpool given my preferences? I'm trying to remain objective here...

Thanks again,

- Steve

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

If the EXHAUST VENT SYSTEM in the home is *longer* than 8 feet length---I'd recommend the WHIRLPOOL GAS DRYER.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0