Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana washer NAV2330AWW, belt slipping.

no spin hub seal belt

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TheFixer

TheFixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:guiness

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

I have an Amana washer NAV2330AWW

It had the dreaded leaking tub seal, I replaced that successfully with the tub seal/bearing assembly from your online store,yes, it was a PITA. Had to make my own bearing puller. I'm trying to put the whole thing out of my memory, but It no longer leaks, not a drop.

Problem: The washer agitates fine but when it comes to the spin cycle the belt is slipping and getting hot. I can get the empty tub to spin, but when the tub is even partially full it spins, but too slowly to drain the water. When I manually add tension to the idler pulley it seems to help the belt catch. The transmission, motor, and pulley all turn freely.

I then ordered a new belt, new idler pulley and a new tension spring and installed them, the belt is on correctly, I still have the same exact issue, spinning motor pulley, but belt is slipping badly, sometimes it will catch other times, not so much.

I'm beyond frustrated, after replacing the hub seal and bearing after hours in labor and quite a bit of cash, I'm about to give up. I feel like I ALMOST have it!

I did notice when I replaced the idler pulley the new one worked about the same as the old one. There doesn’t seem to be any real bearings anywhere, just a solid shaft that attaches to the arm and a metal sleeve inside the pulley, I did clean the shaft and put a drop of light oil on it.

What's the deal? I'm about to give up and send back the parts, after all this work.

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,836 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

Congrats for having the courage to venture into that little slice of appliance repair hell and tackle that tub seal job. Definitely not a job for the haint of feart!

Let's start with the simple stuff: check the idler pully, make sure it's connected correctly, spring is attached and making good tension on the belt. Can also try increasing spring tension by moving the anchor to a different hole in the base of the washer. Here's a diagram of that area.

#3 TheFixer

TheFixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

Everything is attached right, Nowhere to move the spring to add enough tension. I CAN add enough tension by hand to get it to spin, especially when tub is empty. Is there actually a bearing somewhere on the idler pully? it doesn't feel like it.

How fast does the tub need to spin before, the pump kicks in and it starts draining?

Thanks.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,836 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

Make a video showing the motor, belt, idler, etc. while they're running. Upload to Youtube and post the link here so we can watch it.

#5 TheFixer

TheFixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

Wow...um, okay. That seems like a project in itself. I'll see what I can do but its unlikely that i will start a you tube project along with my washer project. The only thing i have that will work is my phone and then I have to figure out how to get adequate lighting down there to see the whole belt, trans, idler, etc. Hell, I can't even find a good PICTURE on the net of the whole thing as it should be assembled, much less a video.

How about one of my original questions, "How fast does the tub need to spin before, the pump kicks in and it starts draining?".

Maybe my pump is just shot??

Like I said it agitates fine, and spins when the drum is empty.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:56 PM

... "How fast does the tub need to spin before, the pump kicks in and it starts draining?".

Pump runs when the Motor (and Belt) run...
Pump drains, depending on which way the Motor is running (Agitate / Spin)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:50 AM

You say you have the belt on correctly but how do you know that if you don't haven't verified that by seeing a correct placement of the belt.

What side of the belt do you have the idler pulley running against? Pushing against the wider backside of belt, (the correct way), or running on the inside/thinner v-side of belt, (wrong)?
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 TheFixer

TheFixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the pump answer.

The belt is pressing on the flat outside right of the belt as you face the dryer, so that if you pull on the opposite end of the idler arm, accessed from the left, towards you it adds tension to the belt inward on the right. The belt loops AROUND the left back pump arm where it attaches to the motor so it moves freely without rubbing anything. If you are mechanically minded,there really is only one way for it to be configured that makes any sense.

I verified the configuration of the belt with this picture. http://www.appliance...amana-wash.html if you look all the way on the bottom of the page there are a series of 4 pics that give a pretty good idea. Not great, but the best I've seen.

Iv'e taken the belt on and off so many times i can do it in my sleep. I'm sure it's a common mistake as it is a bit of a pain to install, but I assure you it IS installed correctly, with a new tension spring, idler pulley and belt.

Again; the trans and drum move freely as does the drum, the motor spins fine, so does the idler pulley.

Can we just assume the belt is on right? Anything else?

#9 TheFixer

TheFixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:58 PM

No other Ideas?

100.00 plus in parts, down the drain? No pun intended.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,836 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

How bout that video that I asked you for?

#11 TheFixer

TheFixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

If i had the means to create a little mini-movie that would be usable, I would, but I don't.

That's it then, no movie, no dice?

I can still answer questions.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,836 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

I wouldn't say, "no dice." I mean, "no video, no dice" is just such an uninspiring saying. Give it another go but this time emulating time-honored parallelisms such as:

- no itchy, no scratchy
- no tikky, no tavy

#13 TheFixer

TheFixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

No movie, not groovie?

No picture no scripture.

Ahh well. I know I'm in the dark ages with no instant movie setup. Surely people figure things out on these forums without moving pictures, or used to way back in the early 2000's, maybe?

Okay, I get it, I'm on my own. I'll just take advantage of the generous return policy and keep replacing parts until I get it. I'm stubborn like that, I already could have bought 2 decent used washers for what I have into this, but I will get this one running...Youtube or not.

They don't call me TheFixer for nothing.

Thanks for the humor, cheers.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,836 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

Awesome! You got the idea! Wish I could offer more pearls of insight but hard to do without a video or at least a photo.

#15 TheFixer

TheFixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

I suspect the pump, It looks okay, But I have a suspicion it's not. I'm going to replace it and see, If that doesn't work; I'll see about borrowing a video camera and a light setup and playing with Youtube.

I CAN take a picture, but of what? To confirm the belt is on right?

#16 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

cell phone video may work ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics