Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Monogram dual fuel range random sparking ZDP48N6DH5SS

spark Monogram

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sdskibum

sdskibum

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:NewCastle

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

About a week ago, our GE Monogram dual fuel range started random sparking when all knobs are in the off position. the only way to make it stop is to cut the power. The sparking jumps around between the six burners individually. *(Normal operation is that the left four all spark to light a left side burner, and the right two spark when lighting a right burner)

To make sure it wasn't due to an overflow or cleaning problem on the burners, I took apart the burners and simmer rings and made sure all the holes in the simmer rings were clear so the flame could get to the igniter. (they were clear) But since the problem we're having is that it's sparking when off, I didn't think that would help...

What should/can I try as far as troubleshooting before dropping $200 on a new spark module?

Thanks!
Kevin

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

... To make sure it wasn't due to an overflow or cleaning problem on the burners, I took apart the burners and simmer rings

the problem may be if you've recently cleaned the Burner Switch area or spilled something there.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 sdskibum

sdskibum

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:28 PM

OK. my wife said no spills in recent memory, but tomorrow night I'll take the front panel off and see if there is any sign of cleaning or spill getting behind the front panel into the switches. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

#4 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:10 AM

Hello, my spilled friend. Back in my younger days, with the elite Appliance Repair Corps of the auxiliary wing of the Mujahideen, we used hair dryers to facilitate drying out stove switches that had been wet from leaky tents letting rain in, boiling over poppy kettles, and errant streams of yak urine. Of course, since we don't have much electricity in my beloved Afghanistan, our "hair dryers" were usually powered by compressed yak flatulence thus producing that etherial aroma for which Afghani women are famous.

Allahu Akbar!

#5 sdskibum

sdskibum

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:00 AM

So after dealing with the great san diego blackout of 2011 Thursday and Friday, I got back to working on the range tonight.

No evidence of spills behind the front panel, but I disconnected all 6 of the spark switches and reconnected them one at a time... Isolated it, and confirmed one spark switch being bad. left it disconnected (but protected from shorting) and my wife has a range (and oven) to use until the part comes in next week...

Thanks for the pointers!

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

... my wife has a range (and oven) to use until the part comes in next week...

:kiss:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics