Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG WM2487HWM won't complete final spin gives UE error

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 robbins67

robbins67

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Patron Tequila

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

I have a LG WM2487HWM that has a very hard time completing the final spin cycle. I just moved from FL to KY and during the move, the washer was transported without any bolts to secure the tub. The movers asked if I had the bolts, I didnt, they moved it without any. Also after using the washer a few times at the new house, one of the internal cold water hoses ruptured. I replaced the hose and the washer acts normal until the final spin. Most of the time it will sit at 9 minutes remaining with the tub slowly spinning one direction, stopping, then spinning slowly in the other direction then a UE error appears. Sometimes I can remove half of the load (small) and just do a spin cycle and it will work. Other times it just spins back and forth and gives the UE error again. I am not sure if the move or the ruptured hose has caused my issue, or neither. I have checked the pump filter and it is clean. What else can I try? Could the main board have been messed up with the water that was spraying allover left rear area of the internals? FYI, an entire set of king sheets and pillow cases washes and spins fine almost everytime. Clothes almost never.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,245 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

The UE is an imbalance error. Something may be damaged or off-kilter internally, but it's just as likely to be something about the washer's new work environment RE: floor level, wood vs. concrete floor, equal load bearing among the four footings, etc. I am but a mere dilettante on LG washers compared to the endless font of wisdom on such matters, Sublime Master john63. Here are a couple of his treasured tomes on this subject. Read them well, Grasshoppah-- pop quiz in the morning! :woot:

http://appliantology...t-load-washers/

http://appliantology...shing-machines/

#3 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

<<<Most of the time it will sit at 9 minutes remaining with the tub slowly spinning one direction, stopping, then spinning slowly in the other direction then a UE error appears.>>>

Is the tub shaking excessively?

Is the washer on a WOOD FLOOR?

What is the SERIAL NUMBER?
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

... the washer was transported without any bolts to secure the tub...

from the WM2487HWM Owners Manual:
The appliance is fitted with shipping bolts to prevent internal damage during transportation.
Packing and all shipping bolts must be removed before using the washer.
Take out the 4 bolts and braces by twisting the braces slightly.
Keep the 4 bolts, braces and the wrench for future use.
• Whenever the appliance is transported, the shipping bolts and braces must be reinstalled.

Part number: 4011FR3159E

Part number: 4011FR3159E

Part number: 4011FR3159D

Part number: 4011FR3159D

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 robbins67

robbins67

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

The tub does shake excessively at times, will shake clothes off and on to the floor. The unit is on a wood floor. The serial number is 708KWUC03270. I will check the levelness of the unit in a few. What kind of damage would occur during a move? This is my first front load washer and have not had any issues with my old top load whirlpool through 8 moves in 17 years (military family).

#6 robbins67

robbins67

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

Ok, just leveled the unit but still have the same issue with the UE code. Took out half of the half load of baby clothes and it takes about 20 minutes to finish the "9 minute" time remaining. Also, when it is doing the spinning one way, stoping, then spinning back the other, it sounds like a pump is starting to run then I hear gurgling from the drain hose then the pump sound shuts off.

#7 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

<<<The tub does shake excessively at times>>>

Inspect the STRUTS (similar to car shock absorbers).

Remove the rear access panel and with a bright flashlight---verify that all 3 STRUTS are still in their correct position.
When moving a front load washer without the SHIPPING BOLTS---there's a risk of one or more STRUT separating (it's a 2 piece design).

If a STRUT was found to be separated---it's very likely that the FRICTION PADS fell off and are missing. Simply reconnecting the STRUT without the FRICTION PADS will cause the same symptoms as NOT having a STRUT at all.

An LG washer that remains "stuck" on 9 minutes remaining is usually caused by an imbalance-condition (hence--the "UE" error).

If the STRUTS are fine---then the WOOD FLOOR is likely the culprit. Leveling the *front legs* during a SPIN RAMP-UP is the only way to *minimize* excessive shaking & annoying "stuck on 9 minutes/wet laundry" complaints.

Your washer was made in August 2007.

Beginning November 2008---all LG washers are designed for WOOD FLOOR use (anti-vibration components were added).

Depending on the condition/stoutness of the WOOD FLOOR---it may be impossible to remove excessive SPIN VIBRATION entirely.

<<<it sounds like a pump is starting to run then I hear gurgling from the drain hose then the pump sound shuts off.>>>

Normal.

<<<Could the main board have been messed up with the water that was spraying allover left rear area of the internals?>>>

No.

<<<Most of the time it will sit at 9 minutes remaining with the tub slowly spinning one direction, stopping, then spinning slowly in the other direction then a UE error appears.>>>

The MAIN BOARD is detecting excessive tub shake/wobble----and is attempting to re-distribute the laundry load in the tub before making another HIGH SPEED SPIN ATTEMPT. If the tub cannot be made to be stabilized on **ramp-up**---the MAIN BOARD will **abort** the fast-spin portion of the SPIN CYCLE. Eventually---the MAIN BOARD will default/time-out and end the cycle leaving laundry wet.

<<<I will check the levelness of the unit>>>

Once the washer has been leveled----put the LEVELING TOOL away. It will *never again* be needed for the washer (until the washer is moved again).

Leveling a washer is more for ***cosmetic reasons*** than for maintaining a smooth spin performance.

A front load washer that is slight lower on the left side (but all 4 legs of the washer are flat on the floor) will perform just as smoothly as a washer that is truly level.

A front load washer with the front of the washer slightly raised/higher on the front---will offer the same spin cycle smoothness as a washer that is dead level (as long as all of the legs are flat on the floor).

The cause of excessive vibration (delayed spin cycle) is from other factors such as WOOD FLOOR/disconnected STRUT/etc.

My gut feeling in your case is that---possibly one of the STRUTS came apart during shipping/handling.

Good luck!
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#8 robbins67

robbins67

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:44 PM

Ok, the leveling seems to have helped some as I have been able to make it through a load of clothes with out the UE code. Tried 4 towels and no luck, UE code again. The floors do not seem to be in bad shape. When I try to "rock" the washer, it appears to be very stable. I did remove the rear panel to inspect the struts and all 3 look fine and do not seem to be damaged in any way. I assume the friction pads are the black washers on either side of the strut where it meets the tub. All of those look to be in place. I cant see all of them but there it no loose movement on any of the three struts. One does seem to have rust on the bottom half of the strut. I can move the tub assembly around pretty easily but it always comes back to rest in the same position. Think I should replace all 3 struts?

#9 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

<<<The floors do not seem to be in bad shape. When I try to "rock" the washer, it appears to be very stable.>>>

If the floor "shakes/vibrates" when 3 or 4 kids run through the room---the washer will as well during the SPIN CYCLE---regardless of how level the washer is.
I'd estimate that about 95% of all wood floors are not strong enough to handle 20+ pounds of wet laundry in a tub that is spinning 1000 RPMs. The up/down motion of a front load washer is different than the side-to-side motion of a TOP LOAD washer during the spin cycle.

<<<I assume the friction pads are the black washers on either side of the strut where it meets the tub.>>>

The FRICTION PADS are white-color. Looks like a strip of bubble gum.

Since all 3 struts were in their original condition (not separated) they're fine and not the cause of excessive vibration (or the "UE" error).
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#10 robbins67

robbins67

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

OK, after a few days of doing laundry and tinkering, everything is working again. The floor does look to be the cluprit. I have worked a little more with the feet of the washer where they contact the floor to make sure they are as solid as can be. That seems to have gotten me past the UE code and and the extremely long spin cycles when I get lucky to not get the code. The washer still has a vibration to it but gets the job done. As an added benefit, if I am standing in the laundry room during the final spin cycle, I get a nice foot massage. Thank you Masters for saving me an unwarranted call to lesser repair sensai. Excellent work, take a beer break!

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

:pint1: :thanks:
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#12 robbins67

robbins67

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Hello again. My LG WM2487HWM has gotten much worse. Since my last post the washer began to make a grinding moan at times when trying to spin out clothes. From there it got to where it would only spin out a half load of clothes. As of right now, it moans and groans and sounds like it would like to move the drum but it does not. I can watch the machine and it sounds like it is trying to "sense the load" by spinning the drum (which doesn't spin more than an inch) the water dispenses, the timer counts down all the time making racket like it wants to move the drum but doesn't. Some times it will kick out an LE code other times a UE code as before. Any ideas on what to do next? Is it time to get a Whirlpool?

#13 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

Replace the HALL EFFECT SENSOR. Sensors built before 2008 were prone to damage when the incorrect type or amount of detergent was used.

Newer sensors virtually never fail.

Part number: AP4440680

When replacing the sensor---remove the *tape* from the plug/wires---all the way down to the base of the washer---about 6 inches length.

Inspect the wiring for damage of any kind (usually splitting at the insulation).

In rare cases---when an LG washer is producing *both* an "LE" and "UE" error---the wire(s) may also be at fault.

If a wire was damaged---repair it---and then re-tape the wires.

Add a new nylon "zip tie" but leave some slack for the wire to allow movement during the spin cycle (tub gyrating).

When/if one of these wires becomes partially sheared---this can cause erratic signal feedback to the Main Board---which then causes the washer to ***intermittently*** shake like a wild demon at times.

If my memory is correct---the RED wire---sends data relating to monitoring vibration during the spin cycles.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

Link to Part: (ah-la video)

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#15 robbins67

robbins67

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

Would you give the same diagnosis if the drum spins (noisily) without clothes in it? If it has clothes, especially after becoming wet, it will not turn. It makes the same grinding/groaning noise but the drum will move maybe one inch then come back to rest and keep groaning for 5-7seconds.

#16 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

Yes.

Growling.

Tub attempts to rotate---but moves an inch or so and "freezes".

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#17 robbins67

robbins67

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

OK. I picked up the hall sensor and as I was disassembling the washer to install it, I found the / another / bigger issue. I was uisng the rotor to help remove the bolt that holds it on and the rotor seemed to be slipping. I finally got the bolt off and removed the rotor. When I looked inside the rotor, at the magnets, there was 1.5 inch long shavings on a few of them. I looked at the shaft that was exposed and it had shavings on it as well as some on the inside of the bottom of the cabinet. The spline on the rotor is stripped so it cant spin the tub. I am not sure how that happened. I can reach in to the shaft that is connected to the tub and move it freely both directions. It looks like the spline on the rotor can be removed and replaced. Any thoughts on what made it fail like this? Anything else I should look for or check? I will still replace the hall sensor just in case since I have it.

Attached Files

#18 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

You'll need a ROTOR ASSY...  Part number: AP4438254

Part number: AP4438254

Not a common issue for any LG washer---other than the WM0642 models.

The *spline* part of the ROTOR is not available as a separate part.

Yes---the HALL SENSOR most definitely should be replaced.

Don't forget to inspect the *wire harness* that connects to the HALL SENSOR (4 wires).

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#19 robbins67

robbins67

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

There is actually 2 parts listed for my washer. The one you linked to and this one

Part number: 4413ER1003A

Part number: 4413ER1003A

Any ideas on what the difference is? I like the less expensive one. Neither part number match what is on the original rotor.

#20 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

<<<Any thoughts on what made it fail like this?>>>

Most likely from countless excessive-vibration spin cycles (wood floor).---high stress.

During the latter-half of the '08 model year---through early '09---someone in the factory/production line forgot to add *threadlocker* to the Rotor Bolt (17mm)---on the WM0642 model washer.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

Recent blog entries on this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics