Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Power surge Frigidaire FAFW3511KWO front load washer

Power surge

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Learning2

Learning2

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:16 AM

Had a power surge that burned up 4 point-of-use surge protectors, 5 GFI's, an electronic fan switch, and my whole house surge protector. Now my washer does not work - no power, no lights, dead.

Question is - where do I start looking? Of course there are loads of susceptible electronics in there - but where to start?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

... where do I start looking?

maybe Home Depot :whistling:
the main Control Board may be bad, but hopefully not the Motor Controller ...
Take a look, seems there'll be visual evidence ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Learning2

Learning2

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

OK - I see a burn mark on the control board right where the 120V line plugs in. So I will replace that. Can you speculate on whether that is as far as the damage goes or do I just have to try it out?
And is there a risk of burning out the new control board when I install it and then try to start the machine if something downstream is bad?

Thanks. I know this calls for speculation but I will take your expert opinion gladly.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:31 AM

The main controller would be the first thing hit with a surge, if the machine wasn't running the motor controller shouldn't have been affected. If the motor controller did get taken out at the same time, I've never seen a bad motor controller take out the main control board so if you install a new main control board and for some reason the motor controller is bad it shouldn't take out the new main control board.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

OK - I see a burn mark on the control board right where the 120V line plugs in.

Pictures, pictures!

#6 Learning2

Learning2

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

The burn mark was easy to see. No major disassembly required beyond what the Repair Clinic video clearly showed.

http://www.repaircli...irHelpVideoTabs

It was right where the green plug with black and white wires enter (green plug).

Attached Files

#7 Learning2

Learning2

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

OK - finally finished the repair. Takes a while when you replace one electronic component at a time. The surge knocked out
1. main control board ($130)
2. user interface board ($110)
3. pressure switch / sensor ($45) - plugs into the control board

The surge was caused by an open neutral - an underground cable let go. Thus I got 240v on half of the panel - including the washer.

Now my washer plugs into a high quality surge supressor which in turn plugs into a GFCI. I also have a whole house surge protector (which fried). The surge knocked out 6 GFCIs and 3 high quality point-of-use surge supressors. These items saved all my other electronics so I feel a little better my washer is now protected also.

Tip of the week: BE SURE YOUR DRAIN HOSE DOES NOT WORK ITS WAY LOOSE as you slide the washer in / out many times making these step-wise repairs. It was wired down but not enough to handle so many in / outs. My house survived Hurricane Irene but not a loose drain hose!Attached File  IMG_3865.jpg   72.76KB   7 downloads

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

nothing will prevent damage from a disconnected Neutral ..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

Nice pics and Thanks for that follow-up; I find that proper use of the candycane on the drainhose pervents "accidental fallout"

http://www.repaircli...ber=FAFW3511KW0

01061854.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics