Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Oil stains in clothes, Maytag MFW9700SB0

Maytag MFW9700SB0

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hello all! I would first like to say hello as I am new to the forum. From what I have read thus far, I am begging to wonder if there front loaders are worth the money.

I have a Maytag Epic that is 4 years old and the washer I have recently begun to find oil stains in my lighter clothes after washing. What causes this issue and how do I repair the problem. I have not noticed the washer making any strange noises. What is the average lifespan for the modern front loader washing machines?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

Hey, Hollywood, welcome to the Samurai School!

This is probably not grease. An easy test would be to try to wash the stains out with soap and warm water. If the stains come out, then they're not grease. Grease stains will only come out with petroleum or solvent-based degreasers. OTOH, spots and stains from a chemical reaction between your detergent and fabric softener will come out with soap and water.

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

The stains will not come out with soap and water. We have been using the same detergent and fabric softener for some time. The oil/grease stains have occured withing the last month. I have been doing some research since I posted this link and found someone else experencing the same issue with the same washer. The diagnoses was a bad bearing seal leaking oil in the tub. Has anyone else heard of this issue? Can you purchase a new seal? I looked at the price of a new tub and it is almost worth not fixing and buying a new top loader.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 11 September 2011 - 06:15 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotation

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

How does it sound during spin? Like a jet flying by? Dull roar?

Open the door and grab the lip of the inner basket. Attempt to move it up and down, in and out. If you get slop or play there, then you have a bad tub bearing and/or drum support spider.

Remove the back panel and have a look at the bearing in the center of the drum pulley. I you see any staining or rust-looking stuff, that's a bad bearing.

#5 hollywood

hollywood

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for replying. During the spin cycle the machine sounds as it did when it was brand new, quiet. At this time the machine is not making any unusual noises. There is no slop or play when I move the tub up, down, in, and out. I read else where that the year washing machine that I have has the bearings inside the tub assemble and a seal keeps the water and bearing lube seperated.

I purchased my washer in 2007. Is it possible for the shaft seal to go bad? If so will oil contaminate the water. If this is not possible, what could be the source of the oil on the water?

How does it sound during spin? Like a jet flying by? Dull roar?

Open the door and grab the lip of the inner basket. Attempt to move it up and down, in and out. If you get slop or play there, then you have a bad tub bearing and/or drum support spider.

Remove the back panel and have a look at the bearing in the center of the drum pulley. I you see any staining or rust-looking stuff, that's a bad bearing.

#6 hollywood

hollywood

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

Bump! Any suggestions!

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:46 PM

The shaft seal can fail and allow water to displace the oil/grease that is factory packed in bearings, water then damages bearing - this can be solved by replacing tub which comes with seal and bearing in it

http://www.repaircli...mber=MFW9700SB0

01256409.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics