Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid Dishwasher kuds01ijbs0 touchpad/controls

kuds01ijbs0 touchpad wont start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PigPimpin

PigPimpin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hello Gurus,

My dishwasher, a KitchenAid kuds01ijbs0, has gotten flaky on me.

First, I had the problem of only the "Rinse Only" and "Add a dish" lights being on, and being unable to select anything else.

Diagnosed (through your forum and others) the fact that this was due to a bad touchpad. 162 dollars later, I have a new touchpad, I installed it, and now I can select whatever I want.

Just one tiny problem: It won't start. At all.

I fully close the door, select my wash cycle, press start and... Nothing but two dashes in the display, the selected cycle lights stay lit, but no water flows, no noises are made, nada.

The display is also a little wonky now. The "88" has a few of the bars missing. Had not noticed anything like that prior to the problem starting.

I figure, knowing next to nothing, that one of the following must be true:

1. I got a bad touchpad.
2. The controller (or whatever the electronics are called) is also bad.
3. I managed to connect the two wiring harnesses, which can only really be connected one way, wrong.
4. Something else I haven't though about.

I got my touchpad at repairclinic.com.

Any thoughts, opinions, or head-slappingly simple diagnoses are appreciated, and as always thank you for hosting this forum and participating in it. You may feel free to say "Duh" to me and call me names if this is in fact a simple thing that I should have known.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,807 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

Get the tech sheet from behind the kick panel and try to run diagnostic mode. Let us know how that goes.

#3 PigPimpin

PigPimpin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

Get the tech sheet from behind the kick panel and try to run diagnostic mode. Let us know how that goes.

The sheet is missing (tried that yesterday).

I came across something online that said you can run a diagnostic by pressing (I forget right now) something like the heavy wash button, then the energy saver dry button, twice in succession.

I did that, and got all my lights lit up (less those couple in the digital display that aren't working at the moment.) I canceled after a few minutes, because I didn't have the faintest idea what I was looking at (what I was supposed to see vs. what I was seeing) and didn't have a timer going so I couldn't report anything.

Will try again today, taking copious notes and/or video.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

Tech Sheet - 8269519.pdf
link PM'd

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 PigPimpin

PigPimpin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

So, I've run the Diagnostics check for the dishwasher, pressing:

Hi-temp scrub > Energy Saver Dry > Hi-temp scrub > Energy Saver Dry

It illuminated every LED, and every functioning led segment of the digital display (making an 88, if all of the segments were functioning - as it is, it was closer to "2 A")

I sat there with the video camera in hand for 7 minutes. No change.

I went away for a bit to rest my arms, came back, no change.

I tried opening and re-closing the door. No change.

A total of at least 20 minutes went by. No change.

Where should I go from here?

#6 jambatt

jambatt

Senpai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

Try reseating the ribbon connector.
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out alive !

#7 PigPimpin

PigPimpin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

Try reseating the ribbon connector.

OK, here's the latest...

I powered her down, took the panel back off, re-seated all the connectors and still didn't get her going.

Took it apart again, to look at the interlock switch (or whatever it's called) that shuts the machine down if the door is opened. That was my problem, as the little plastic slide that activates that switch wasn't actually closing the switch.

I monkeyed around with it, took off a stupid little rubber bumper that was getting in the way of the plastic tab that closes the switch, and I can get it going. BUT!:

Though the door is fully closed and latched, it will intermittently act as if I've opened the door. I push hard on the left side of the door, and she fires up again. I let it go, and sooner or later she stops again as if I've opened the door.

So here's the question of the day. If I order and replace the plastic bits that make up that latch release, and perhaps a new switch, should I be good, or is there an alignment problem with the unit? Ever since installation, the right side of the top of the door hits before the left when I close it, and I have to push on the left side to get it closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics