Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dryer won't start on Maytag LSE7806ACE

Dryer start problems stack

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hhamilto

hhamilto

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Diet Pepsi

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

My dryer won't start- no noise, nothing.
So this unit has performed well for about 6 years...
I have checked two thermal units and the thermostat with a multimeter and they appear to be functioning well with no resistance.
It was working fine on previous load, but did have some smell to it when my daughter informed me it wasn't starting. It did have a fair amount of lint in it ( I already mentioned my teenage daughter, right)
Anyway, I've worked my way back to dryer motor. Belt seems to be in good shape and I can turn motor by hand and make dryer tumble.
So, can I benchtest the motor? Should I just install a new motor?
The door switch seemed to working fine.
I don't know what else it could be????

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

I didn't notice anywhere you mentioning that you have tested the voltage to the unit...check at the terminal block, where the cord connects...should have 220vac across the outer posts...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,051 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

There are three Switches in there that control the heat circuit. Sounds like you may have only checked two: the cycling thermostat and the hi limit. The third one is the thermal fuse. Follow the power wires for the heater, you'll find it.

#4 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

May be smelling the motor over heating...let it cool for a while and and try again...if it grinds/ buzzes when you try to start it or labors for awhile before it does start...bad motor

#5 hhamilto

hhamilto

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Diet Pepsi

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

I checked three items with the multimeter- I think two of them were thermal units (they were identical but placed at different locations) and then I also tested the thermostat. All were working fine according to the meter. Doesn't that cover it?
As for checking the outer posts, don't I have to plug it back in and put everything back together before trying that? I am also a big scaredy cat when it comes to checking 220 power...any suggestions or advice? Would it have power at the post where the cord connects if nothing is turned on/everything is disassembled?

It never threw the breaker btw.

And also, my problem is not a lack of heat- it's not doing anything- turning, grinding, humming, etc.

#6 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

I understand your problem...
don't be afraid ...just cautious.
No need to reassemble...make sure all loose wires are clear and check with yer meter...

We'd all feel silly if this is the problem...need to rule it out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics