Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Microwave Oven Noise/Smell

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Candace

Candace

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:20 AM

My new (4 months) microwave oven, GE largest capacity 1100 Watts  w/ on/off turntable (model number?), has made a noise while running since the beginning.  It sounds like a piece of cellophane wrap is caught in the fan, but I haven't opened it up to see.   Actually, the noise has more of an electric-type crackle characteristic, is constant when on, the sound never changes tempo (?), and doesn't fade or get louder.  It isn't a buzz, isn't a thud, isn't a hissing, isn't a popping, isn't a squeek..  It's just about as loud as the motor itself.    It reminds me of a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel, only at 3000 rpm and not as loud.  I know I should open it up and look, but I BE AFRAID.    In an unrelated event, the high tech turntable  (you know those three legged plastic contraptions that support the round glass tray and keep it turning) smashed flatter than a pancake one day under too much weight I guess, and it's three little wheels  went belly up.   Few days later, stupid me puts in microwave popcorn and the bag burns up  before the kernals are popped, exudes a hideous amount of smoke, and  permanently (so far) discolored the inside walls a dark yellow .  But more annoying is the fact that it  still has a very strong smell of burnt popcorn, and it leaves a residual burnt odor on anything you cook in it.  Will this odor ever go away?   Incidentally, I'm careful to not run it on high power now that there is no turntable.  So those are my two microwave questions, if anyone feels so inclined to  respond I'd appreciate it.   Thanks.  Candace..

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

My only question is why you have not called for warranty service from the beginning, I would guess the thing would be repaired, or replaced..:?
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Candace

Candace

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:49 AM

:yikes:You were just sitting out there waiting for another lazy old piece of ____ to write in????   Ok, fine, so I'm lazy  :snooze: but ALSO I'm in a rural area and it's nearly impossible to find a service center, AND I didn't feel like packing it up and shipping it off and be without the thing for a month, PLUS I was hoping it would be alright in the morning, AND I'm usually involved with other more pressing chores around the place :jedi:and so I finally FIND THE TIME to write in to you nice people with what I thought would be a simple request so as not to tax your busy brains too much  but then you have to go and make me ........... (choke sob sob cough sputter sob choke -- wait, give me a minute to compose myself).......... make me CRY.   I'm just so demoralized now, I don't care about it anymore, and it's going in the garbage.   But before it toss it, and  just for laughs, what do you think could be making the noise, and what about the burnt odor going away.   Love and Kisses :moondance:

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:12 PM

And this grasshopper really believes someone is going to jump right in here and answer her questions still, after her reply,  when all she had to do was take it back where it was bought and exchange it for another one at the very beginning.  Sure hope something is done, before it catches on fire and burns the house down, this unit needs to be unplugged until it is exchanged or repaired.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 Candace

Candace

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hi.  I had a feeling that my reply was going to be taken the wrong way, that's why I filled it with those silly emoticons so it would be clear that I was trying to be goofy.  Lately though, my attempts at humor come across more caustic than intended, so if that's the case here, then I apologize.   Everything is just too serious these days, and I was craving some silliness.   So, with that said, you've told me what I needed to hear, that the microwave is potentially dangerous and shoudn't be used.   I called the vendor and UPS to come pick it up and take it back to the store for either repair or replacement.   So, that's that.     Thanks for the replies.   Candace.:bathead:

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:55 PM

You are more than welcome, thank you for the reply and please let us know what they do about this microwave that was defective right out of the box....:?

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,927 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

[user=159]Candace[/user] wrote:

I had a feeling that my reply was going to be taken the wrong way,

I don't know, I liked the waggling tushy. :groucho:

#8 Lurker_Landlord not by choice_*

Lurker_Landlord not by choice_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:45 PM

Candace, it didn't sound like you were getting much repair advice so I thought I would share a similar story and experiences in hopes that it may help both of us. I will try to make it as brief as I can:

My home, which is being rented out, also has a GE microwave. One day, the tenant calls and says that the microwave is making a strange noise, smells funny, and will no longer heat anything. I'm a hands on guy so I go try to fix it myself. First thing I notice: interior of microwave is severely stained yellowish brown -- and no cleaner will take the stain away. It seems like something got seriously overcooked, but tenants claim they don't know.

Second, it doesn't heat anything. Third, it smells funny when running, but not exactly like burnt popcorn but more like burnt electrical/ionic (if that makes any sense.) Fourth, the sound when it is running is not normal - lower/louder groan. So I just guessed it might be the magnetron and ordered/installed a new one (not rocket science but if you're not "handy" you might want to make sure you have your paperwork in order before attempting!)

After install, yellow microwave works and sounds perfect! But, unfortunately, that's not the end of the story. About 1 month later, I am simply heating up a cup of water and all of a sudden, the microwave begins to groan as it did before, smells like burnt electrical, and stops heating anything (no smoke though or anything that would cause additional yellowing.) I was standing right there in front of it when it happened.

So that's where I am now. My questions are:
1) Did whatever got burnt in the first place cause the damage to the microwave? (I will probably never know this answer.)
2) Why did my "fix" only last a short time? Clearly, changing the magnetron DID work, but was this a defective part or was there some other part that was damaged that is causing the magnetron to fail? This is where a real experienced appliantologist would REALLY help!

Your story helps me to confirm my guess that someone probably did torch something like a bag of popcorn in the microwave which started the initial damage to components -- certainly the magnetron but maybe more. I think the smell is created by a bad magnetron (so I think what you're smelling isn't from the popcorn and won't go away no matter how much you clean.) Often magnetrons are covered under different warrantee for much longer (like 10 years!) than the standard 90-day or 1-year warrantee on the overall appliance. But it seems something else is likely going to be needed. I hope we find additional help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics